Luis Vizcaino suspended for 50 games for PEDs

Jun 29, 2011, 4:31 PM EDT

Luis Vizcaino

This is something of a theoretical suspension seeing as though Luis Vizcaino hasn’t pitched in affiliated baseball since the middle of 2009. But they test free agents, and Vizcaino is still registered as a technically active pitcher with someone somewhere, so he got tested too.  The drug: Stanozolol.  No, I don’t know either, but it’s a PED.

Before the test he pitched in the Dominican Winter League last year and signed a minor league deal with the Yankees, but he never made camp after tearing his achilles tendon back in February.

I would assume that this is the last time we ever write about Vizcaino on HardballTalk.  I could be wrong, though. I said that to Gleeman, and he said that it’s entirely possible that Vizzcaino could murder someone or become a financial adviser or something, so never say never.

1. cur68 - Jun 29, 2011 at 4:34 PM

Same ‘roid Ben Johnson was busted out of the Seoul Olympics for. Anabolic steroid

• drmonkeyarmy - Jun 29, 2011 at 4:36 PM

What’s up Cur? What do you think of the Flyers trading Carter and Richards?

• cur68 - Jun 29, 2011 at 4:43 PM

Hey ‘army. Howaya? Those trades are a bit nuts. Trade one guy, not both IMO. Carter & Richards represent a huge chunk of the offense. They are proven horses. The trade to get cap space and acquire for Bryzgalov makes sense but they gave up too much for it. Draft picks, even high draft picks, are nowhere as good as actual proven NHL goal scorers and assist machines like Carter & Richards. I don’t like it for the Flyers.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jun 29, 2011 at 4:45 PM

I thought you would say that. You forgot to mention that Richards is a whiny punk who nobody likes and that Carter is a crybaby who disappears in big moments.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jun 29, 2011 at 4:49 PM

What the f@ck is a Bryzgalov?

• drmonkeyarmy - Jun 29, 2011 at 4:51 PM

A finely distilled Vodka.

• raysfan1 - Jun 29, 2011 at 8:33 PM

Also the same ‘roid for which Rafael Palmeiro tested positive–been around almost 50 years.

2. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jun 29, 2011 at 4:42 PM

Wikipedia knows: it’s a synthetic anabolic steroid derived from my ballz…whoops, I mean testosterone.

Now, Fiorentino, YOU shall go retrieve the aforementioned shine box.

3. ngearhart1981 - Jun 29, 2011 at 4:52 PM

That guy would like good on the Phillies.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jun 29, 2011 at 4:55 PM

What in the hell are you talking about? I’m not sure what you are trying to convey. It seem like you might be implying that the Phillies like the steroids….which is just pure nonsense.

• ngearhart1981 - Jun 29, 2011 at 5:06 PM

I thought the Phillies wanted everybody.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jun 29, 2011 at 5:25 PM

I don’t know what that means either.

4. missthemexpos - Jun 29, 2011 at 5:05 PM

I just knew Ben Johnson was guilty as soon as he said ” I, I, I, I, I, I, I, nev, nev, nev, nev, nev, never, to, to, to, to, to, took, ster, ster, ster, ster, ster, steroids.”

5. pipkin42 - Jun 29, 2011 at 9:43 PM

Isn’t that the stuff Palmeiro was taking?

6. dirtyharry1971 - Jun 30, 2011 at 9:59 AM

what i like the most about this article is the pic shows Luis in a Yankee uniform even though he played there one year and that was like around 4 or 5 years ago and he has played for teams more recently, Yet this is the pic they show. Good work craig!

• jjschiller - Jun 30, 2011 at 1:22 PM

God it must be so tough to be a Yankee fan, what with everyone out to get you all the time. Your guys just can’t get a fair shake, ya know?

“Before the test he pitched in the Dominican Winter League last year and signed a minor league deal with the Yankees, but he never made camp after tearing his achilles tendon back in February.”

His last affiliated club is the Yankees. It’s right there in the post.

• dirtyharry1971 - Jun 30, 2011 at 3:38 PM

His last regular season action was NOT with the Yanks, he never got out of spring training with the Yanks this year and you can bet your life that pic isnt a spring training pic

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3277)