Jun 29, 2011, 4:50 PM EDT
To follow up on Craig’s earlier post on the Seattle Mariners’ catching situation – always a big water cooler topic – it turns out they do have an emergency catcher after all.
His name is Adam Kennedy.
And it’s possible there has never been a more reluctant emergency catcher on the history of baseball. Kennedy said today that he has never caught, not even in Little League. And Chris Gimenez, whose oblique injury landed him on the DL today, knew he had to stay in the game last night after taking one look in Kennedy’s eyes.
“I’m not going to put anybody else in jeopardy of getting hurt,” Gimenez said. “Adam already looked like he wanted to puke just from the fact he possibly could have to go in if something else happened.”
Rest assured no one was happier than Kennedy to see Josh Bard called up today, though with Miguel Olivo battling a hamstring cramp, there still could be a need for his services behind the dish.
Which raises the question of how the Mariners chose Kennedy to be their emergency catcher? I’m guessing it went something like this:
Eric Wedge: Alright everybody listen up. I want everyone who would like to volunteer to be the emergency catcher take one step forward.
Entire team, except Adam Kennedy, takes one step back.
Kennedy: Ahh @#^*&^@!!
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 71
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 84
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 64
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)