Jun 29, 2011, 4:50 PM EDT
To follow up on Craig’s earlier post on the Seattle Mariners’ catching situation – always a big water cooler topic – it turns out they do have an emergency catcher after all.
His name is Adam Kennedy.
And it’s possible there has never been a more reluctant emergency catcher on the history of baseball. Kennedy said today that he has never caught, not even in Little League. And Chris Gimenez, whose oblique injury landed him on the DL today, knew he had to stay in the game last night after taking one look in Kennedy’s eyes.
“I’m not going to put anybody else in jeopardy of getting hurt,” Gimenez said. “Adam already looked like he wanted to puke just from the fact he possibly could have to go in if something else happened.”
Rest assured no one was happier than Kennedy to see Josh Bard called up today, though with Miguel Olivo battling a hamstring cramp, there still could be a need for his services behind the dish.
Which raises the question of how the Mariners chose Kennedy to be their emergency catcher? I’m guessing it went something like this:
Eric Wedge: Alright everybody listen up. I want everyone who would like to volunteer to be the emergency catcher take one step forward.
Entire team, except Adam Kennedy, takes one step back.
Kennedy: Ahh @#^*&^@!!
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 7
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 11
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 88
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)