Jun 29, 2011, 4:50 PM EST
To follow up on Craig’s earlier post on the Seattle Mariners’ catching situation – always a big water cooler topic – it turns out they do have an emergency catcher after all.
His name is Adam Kennedy.
And it’s possible there has never been a more reluctant emergency catcher on the history of baseball. Kennedy said today that he has never caught, not even in Little League. And Chris Gimenez, whose oblique injury landed him on the DL today, knew he had to stay in the game last night after taking one look in Kennedy’s eyes.
“I’m not going to put anybody else in jeopardy of getting hurt,” Gimenez said. “Adam already looked like he wanted to puke just from the fact he possibly could have to go in if something else happened.”
Rest assured no one was happier than Kennedy to see Josh Bard called up today, though with Miguel Olivo battling a hamstring cramp, there still could be a need for his services behind the dish.
Which raises the question of how the Mariners chose Kennedy to be their emergency catcher? I’m guessing it went something like this:
Eric Wedge: Alright everybody listen up. I want everyone who would like to volunteer to be the emergency catcher take one step forward.
Entire team, except Adam Kennedy, takes one step back.
Kennedy: Ahh @#^*&^@!!
- Keith Law Ranks the Farm Systems: Yay for Chicago! Boo for Detroit! 0
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 153
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 33
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 36
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (153)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (94)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)