Jun 29, 2011, 3:15 PM EDT
J.C. Romero, who passed through waivers unclaimed and was released by the Phillies last week, has signed a minor-league contract with the Nationals and will report to Triple-A, according to Mark Zuckerman of CSNWashington.com.
Philadelphia is on the hook for Romero’s entire $1.35 million salary, so the signing is basically a no-risk move for Washington and at the very least Romero still looks capable of being a solid left-handed specialist.
To be anything more than that he’d have to dramatically improve his control or cease being horrendous against right-handed hitters, neither of which seem likely at age 35.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (241)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (111)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)