Ozzie Guillen: “we deserved to lose”

Jun 29, 2011, 10:30 AM EDT

Chicago White Sox v Cleveland Indians Getty Images

Ozzie Guillen had a pretty matter-of-fact assessment of the White Sox game last night:

“I don’t think we should feel bad because we earned it to lose this game. We deserved to lose. I think the way we played from the first inning , I don’t think we should have won this game at all … We don’t do the little things, and do you expect to win? Hell no. We played like sh**, you go home like sh**”

And then, according to ESPN Chicago reporter Doug Padilla, Ozzie said “he was glad the game ended when it did and he didn’t have to watch it any longer.”

I’m struck by the notion that, if there is any truth to that “Jeff Loria wants to hire Ozzie Guillen” buzz, that the relationship will end up lasting about three weeks.  The Marlins have basically censored Logan Morrison for telling it like it is.  What will they do when their manager starts doing the same?

1. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jun 29, 2011 at 11:14 AM

He also said, “It’s nobody’s fault. If they’re going to blame anybody, they should blame everyone – counting myself.” I watched this game and every part of his commentary is accurate. This is why Ozzie is great in my opinion. Imagine if our politicians actually said it like it is…

2. Old Gator - Jun 29, 2011 at 11:26 AM

Dear Buddha, I hope that poli—pudli–podla…uh…vulvate-faced clown isn’t just marginally clever enough to talk his way out of a job so he can mismanage in Macondo next year. I sacrifice my tears to Avalokiteshvara: shut him up.

• cur68 - Jun 29, 2011 at 11:52 AM

Though we disagree, I had to click you a +thumb Gator, for knowledge of Avalokiteshvara. Compassion IS the cure of all ills.

As for Oz; he needs to stay in Chicago. The cooler air will keep him from over heating too much. He should never shut up. He is the Mark Cuban of managers; tells it straight, you never have to guess about how he feels, cares about the product and wants to win. Its not a just a job to Oz. I don’t know as MLB needs more than one Ozzie, but the one it does have is a quote factory.

You go Ozzie. Tell it like it is.

• Old Gator - Jun 29, 2011 at 12:39 PM

I once had – truth (hand over three chambered heart) a baby copperhead named Avalokiteshvara. If it had been, say, a Chinese bush viper I probably would have named him Kuan-Yin. No relation to Friendo, though.

Did you ever see my comments back on Circling the Bases (which it still really IS, of course, in our hearts) about the Buddhist temple in Tokyo with all the Hideki Matsui bobbleheads?

• Old Gator - Jun 29, 2011 at 12:53 PM

…and Ozzie has about as much in common with Mark Cuban as the iguana in my frangipani has with Godzilla.

• cur68 - Jun 29, 2011 at 12:54 PM

Gator I’m a noob round here. Never heard of CTB till you lifers mentioned it so I haven’t seen the comment. I will say that I thought all temples in Tokyo had statuary-shrines to Matsui. Hell, didn’t they immortalize him in a movie? Godzilla, wasn’t it? The actor who played him was a genius & the likeness was incredible.

I have a buddy in Sydney who’d get along great with you. He’s snake guy too. In his spare time from being Mr. All Round Awesome, he works for an organization that rescues animals injured by cars. He routinely sends me pic-letters of himself holding something squirming, ugly, and lethally poisonous by its tail. Creeps me right out.

• Old Gator - Jun 29, 2011 at 4:13 PM

I love Australia, often referred to as “Oz,” which is another reason why the slobbering, boorish, loudmouthed version upsets me – he can be confused with the Antipodes. Is your friend the one who has to go around crossing out the numbers of koalas killed on the roads and jacking the total with his magic marker? Does he rescue cane toads too? Rabbits? Or does he behave like Arizona’s leather-faced hag of a governor and discriminate against illegal aliens?

Come to think of it, how do you administer aid to a cane toad that’s been run over by a twenty-eight wheeled road train?

Incidentally, the actor who played Godzilla was Haruo Nakajima, one of my boyhood heroes. He once lost seventeen pounds (mostly water) in one day because the G-suit was unventilated. I have a great photo of him in his Godzilla suit passed out cold in the middle of the miniature Tokyo set at the Toho Studios in 1953.

• cur68 - Jun 29, 2011 at 4:22 PM

Well. There’s no topping THAT story. A passed out Godzilla you say? Who knew? I thought it took nuclear fire to get rid of those pesky lizards and here all it took was dehydration.

Frankx doesn’t bother with cane toads, I think. In fact he once explained to me how you get ‘air’ with one using a 9-iron. That story may not be totally true as we were completely blitzed at the time and he was trying to score with our 1 eyed serving wench.
        Me; “Dude, She’s got one eye! Your trying to seduce a cyclops, man. Stop drinking!”

Frankx; “But it’s such a pretty eye…”

As for keeping road toll score; I think he might do something like that. I do know he spent some time nursing a opossum for a while; he said it toughened his nipples.

• Old Gator - Jun 29, 2011 at 9:30 PM

I bet it allowed air and water to get through to the roots of his nipples too. Those Oz opossums (which are closer to lemurs than to the bloated ratlike things we call possums here) got teeth, man. Also, next time you communicate with Frankx, ask him about the Oz possum habit of sitting in a tree and pissing on your head. Really.

If you want to see the Nakajima heat stroke photo, you need to buy the double-DVD version of “Gojira” which has both the horribly dubbed version with Raymond Burr spliced in so the film could be sold to white people, and the original uncut version with subtitles containing all the anti-American, anti-nuclear dialogue and no Raymond Burr. There’s a special features section about the making of the film – I copied the photo of the conked-out ‘Zilla from that.

Nakajima also wrote an autobiography called Kaiju Life. Great stuff.

3. RickyB - Jun 29, 2011 at 11:58 AM

Deserves got nothing to do with it.

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate