Someone think of the poor Dodgers season ticket holders

Jun 29, 2011, 8:48 AM EDT

File photo of Los Angeles Dodgers owner Frank McCourt speaking at a news conference about increased security at Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles

I have, like, 50 industrial-sized barrels full of Frank McCourt ire sitting in my basement, so don’t you worry at all about me running out any time soon.  But I just real Bill Plaschke’s latest column about how McCourt has had little or no contact with the season ticket holders over the years, and I’ve decided that I’m really not going to dig deep into my ire stash for them:

“I caught the [bankruptcy] story about three minutes after it hit, and followed it all day while wondering whether I would receive an email or some kind of communication from Frank McCourt,” said Michael Roth, a Westside lawyer. “I never received anything … My family still loves going to the games, but not hearing from McCourt underscores the disconnect between the owner and the fans.”

I’m sure P.R. professionals would say that someone at the Dodgers should have constant communications with season ticket holders, but I really have to classify “not receiving emails full of bloodless, cheerleading corporate-speak” as a particularly unimportant brand of first world problems. And what purpose would it serve anyway?  Is this the conversation that will ensue?

“Look, honey, Mr. McCourt says here that the bankruptcy was the fault of Major League Baseball and that he fully intends to prevail and lead the Dodgers into a bright future!  Those liars at the Los Angeles Times had him all wrong!  Let’s re-up our club seats for another five years!”

1. bleedgreen - Jun 29, 2011 at 9:00 AM

I don’t think they want that, I think that they just want someone to ACKNOWLEDGE the issue officially to the people that spend a lot of money every year to come see a team. When someone spends $1000 a year on Dodgers tickets, and then the team goes ‘whoops, we have no money’, I think I’d want some kind of affirmation that ‘Yes, we are having financial troubles, and no it won’t affect your season tickets or your ability to use them.’

• bigxrob - Jun 29, 2011 at 9:03 AM

how would it affect their ability to use them? Is the Judge going to order that they chain the gates shut at Dodger stadium? Is the team going to fold and go away?

• bleedgreen - Jun 29, 2011 at 9:23 AM

If the team moves to the other side of the city, if the team moves PERIOD, I know it won’t be overnight (Looking at you Baltimore Colts), but it affects people.

2. paperlions - Jun 29, 2011 at 9:00 AM

I imagine that more Dodger fans are concerned about the disconnect between our legal system and justice, and about the unnecessarily complicated set of laws that have been enacted to justify the existence and exorbitant fees of lawyers, such as the season-ticket-holding Michael Roth, than they are about any alleged disconnect between over-paid lawyers (redundant, I know) and crooked CEOs.

3. addictedzone - Jun 29, 2011 at 10:28 AM

To wrap this up, do we have a majority of Dodger fans that want an email from McCourt? Affirmation that the team is staying in LA? That are worried about the disconnect in our legal system?

Not Really.

What we have is Dodger fans that want Rubby De La Rosa to stop with the base on balls and get some outs tonight, or get his butt to Albuquerque.

(Of course there are also a few that would love to buy a Chapter 11 Dodger Jersey)

• losburrosinblue - Jun 29, 2011 at 11:17 AM

As a life-long Dodger fan, I would love to see some sound baseball be played tonight. I’d like to see some leadership on the team. I want to feel like the Dodgers are in it to win, even if they’re 450 games back of first. That’s all I really want. But, yes, I wouldn’t mind a Chapter 11 jersey…

4. manute - Jun 29, 2011 at 10:58 AM

Michael Roth sounds really important and HE WOULD LIKE AN EMAIL, you disconnect-underscoring son of a bitch!

5. Chris Fiorentino - Jun 29, 2011 at 11:23 AM

If you don’t like the way you are ignored, then don’t buy season tickets. Nobody has a gun to your head saying “Your signature or your brains will be on this contract to buy season tickets”

6. frankrupt - Jun 29, 2011 at 11:35 AM

I’ll just leave this here…http://www.cafepress.com/LAD_Gear

7. forrestwalker - Jun 29, 2011 at 12:46 PM

Try This

I know Mr Roth. Think he owns 8 season tix. He deserved an email

8. theotherfamousamos - Jun 29, 2011 at 2:02 PM

It’s about taking care of your customers. Broadly, Craig’s right that this ranks pretty low on the scheme of the franchise’s problems and of the things to outrage us. But any well run company needs to speak to its customers whether by e-mail, mail, billboard, etc. Customers need to feel appreciated. If customers abandon the organization, sponsorships also are lost and the problems just spiral out of control.

9. Michael - Jun 29, 2011 at 2:08 PM

I dislike McCourt as much as the next guy, but Plaschke is apparently unaware of how the average club owner deals with STHs (i.e., waves at them from the owner’s box). The owners who walk/sit among the fans and appear to care about something other than leveraging more profits are a very rare breed.

In my decade of owning Mariners season tickets, the only communications not urging me to buy something extra were those begging me to re-up because “this time will be better.” Meanwhile, the fan experience eroded at the same time as the team on the field tanked, while the M’s idea of making it up to their season ticket holders involved not raising their prices for a year or two (they made it up with higher concessions).

I can assure Plaschke that any communication signed by the team owner was actually written by PR staff. In fact, that’s the reason there isn’t communication: the Dodgers PR staff likely hasn’t been able figure out whether the letter should be signed “Frank McCourt” or “Bud Selig.”

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate