Jun 30, 2011, 2:30 PM EDT
Cole Hamels was cruising along quite nicely against the Red Sox this afternoon, having shut out Boston on two hits over four innings, but then he faced Adrian Gonzalez for the second time and Gonzalez hit a line drive off Hamels’ hand, which required him to leave the game.
The good news: it was his right hand, and Mr. Hamels happens to pitch with his left. The Phillies are calling it a contusion, and he’s getting some X-Rays. Updates as warranted, but no one seems to be all that concerned about it.
UPDATE: The Phillies just announced X-rays were negative and that Hamels is expected to make his next start Tuesday night.
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 17
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 25
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 105
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8