Jun 30, 2011, 2:30 PM EDT
Cole Hamels was cruising along quite nicely against the Red Sox this afternoon, having shut out Boston on two hits over four innings, but then he faced Adrian Gonzalez for the second time and Gonzalez hit a line drive off Hamels’ hand, which required him to leave the game.
The good news: it was his right hand, and Mr. Hamels happens to pitch with his left. The Phillies are calling it a contusion, and he’s getting some X-Rays. Updates as warranted, but no one seems to be all that concerned about it.
UPDATE: The Phillies just announced X-rays were negative and that Hamels is expected to make his next start Tuesday night.
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 22
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 10
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 72
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 53
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 87
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (263)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)