Jun 30, 2011, 2:30 PM EDT
Cole Hamels was cruising along quite nicely against the Red Sox this afternoon, having shut out Boston on two hits over four innings, but then he faced Adrian Gonzalez for the second time and Gonzalez hit a line drive off Hamels’ hand, which required him to leave the game.
The good news: it was his right hand, and Mr. Hamels happens to pitch with his left. The Phillies are calling it a contusion, and he’s getting some X-Rays. Updates as warranted, but no one seems to be all that concerned about it.
UPDATE: The Phillies just announced X-rays were negative and that Hamels is expected to make his next start Tuesday night.
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 10
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 47
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 28
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)