Jun 30, 2011, 2:30 PM EDT
Cole Hamels was cruising along quite nicely against the Red Sox this afternoon, having shut out Boston on two hits over four innings, but then he faced Adrian Gonzalez for the second time and Gonzalez hit a line drive off Hamels’ hand, which required him to leave the game.
The good news: it was his right hand, and Mr. Hamels happens to pitch with his left. The Phillies are calling it a contusion, and he’s getting some X-Rays. Updates as warranted, but no one seems to be all that concerned about it.
UPDATE: The Phillies just announced X-rays were negative and that Hamels is expected to make his next start Tuesday night.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 315
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 55
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 39
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 4
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (325)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (159)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)