David Ortiz, Prince Fielder to serve as Home Run Derby captains

Jun 30, 2011, 6:23 PM EST

David Ortiz AP

Apparently looking to add some interest for the Home Run Derby festivities, MLB today announced David Ortiz and Prince Fielder as captains for the event to be held the Monday before the All-Star Game.

Ortiz, the 2010 champion, and Fielder, the 2009 champ, will each get to pick their three teammates for the contest.  Not limited to only selecting fellow All-Stars, Ortiz can choose anyone in the AL and Fielder anyone in the NL.

Whether it makes for a better Derby or not, the act of choosing should create more interest leading up to the event.  It seems like a given that Ortiz will pick Jose Bautista as a teammate, leaving him two spots for Mark Teixeira, Miguel Cabrera or perhaps Red Sox teammate Adrian Gonzalez .  But what about Josh Hamilton?  Or maybe he could irk Teixeira by picking Curtis Granderson instead?

Will Fielder call on Mike Stanton even though the 21-year-old slugger probably won’t make the All-Star roster?  Matt Kemp seems likely to get one spot, but no one else stands out.  Stanton is certainly as promising a choice as any.

In any event, MLB actually has me thinking about the Home Run Derby for the first time in several years.  So, I guess that makes this a pretty good idea.

1. Kyle MacNaughton - Jun 30, 2011 at 6:29 PM

Brian McCann comes to mind. /Braves Fan.

2. marshmallowsnake - Jun 30, 2011 at 6:49 PM

Pick me!!!! LOL!

Wait, are retired players OK? Dave Kingman? Rob Deer? No?

Ok, AL – Jose Bautista, Adam Dunn, Hamilton or Cruz (need guys that can hit moonshots!)

NL – Stanton, Pujols, Braun maybe?

• ditto65 - Jun 30, 2011 at 6:52 PM

You do know Pujols has a broken wrist.

• marshmallowsnake - Jul 1, 2011 at 12:26 PM

Actually, I forgot about that…yeah he does. I blame this on lack of sleep…and the fact that I gave up my cable and no longer religiously watch baseball tonight or mlbtv…fail.

• marshmallowsnake - Jul 5, 2011 at 12:13 PM

Looks like he might make it back this Tuesday. So, my team can be real now.

• banksatdixie - Jun 30, 2011 at 6:56 PM

Adam Dunn??? You’re fisting me.

• marshmallowsnake - Jul 1, 2011 at 12:27 PM

Well, they do not have to be all stars, and since I am going to the derby, I just want to see people that can hit the ball a mile…because it is the HR derby. Not the line drive just over the wall derby.

And why did you reference fisting? You could have picked something a bit less graphic.

3. spudchukar - Jun 30, 2011 at 6:51 PM

It is supposed to be a contest of who goes Yard, not Lard.

4. chadh88 - Jun 30, 2011 at 7:08 PM

As a cards fan I don’t think we need any help wearing him out too soon, but what about Berkman?

5. tgifinley88 - Jun 30, 2011 at 7:19 PM

AL- ortiz picks jose bautista, curtis granderson, adrian gonzalez.

NL- prince picks ryan braun, lance berkman, matt kemp.

6. dakotablake - Jun 30, 2011 at 7:26 PM

I want Big Willie Mo Pena..that boy can really smash a 75 mph fastball!

• Tim's Neighbor - Jul 1, 2011 at 4:04 AM

I wish that I could give this 550 thumbs up (avg distance in feet) of a WMP home run.

• marshmallowsnake - Jul 1, 2011 at 12:29 PM

I saw him hit the scoreboard support truss in center at chase in 07 in BP. That guy does hit bombs!

7. bigyankeemike - Jul 1, 2011 at 7:47 AM

If I’m Ortiz, I’m picking Teixeira, Granderson and A Rod. Mess the Yankees up big time for the second half of the season.

8. trevorb06 - Jul 1, 2011 at 9:36 AM

If I’m Ortiz I’m wanting to win this so I’m picking Nishi from the Twin’s, and those 2 powerless infielders on the Mariners. :-)

Fielder… Punto, Theroit and hey Luis Castillo last played for an NL team, right?

#sarcasm

9. drunkenhooliganism - Jul 1, 2011 at 9:40 AM

I want to see Wily Mo, Matt Stairs, Adam Dunn and Mike Stanton.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5686)