Jun 30, 2011, 6:23 PM EDT
Apparently looking to add some interest for the Home Run Derby festivities, MLB today announced David Ortiz and Prince Fielder as captains for the event to be held the Monday before the All-Star Game.
Ortiz, the 2010 champion, and Fielder, the 2009 champ, will each get to pick their three teammates for the contest. Not limited to only selecting fellow All-Stars, Ortiz can choose anyone in the AL and Fielder anyone in the NL.
Whether it makes for a better Derby or not, the act of choosing should create more interest leading up to the event. It seems like a given that Ortiz will pick Jose Bautista as a teammate, leaving him two spots for Mark Teixeira, Miguel Cabrera or perhaps Red Sox teammate Adrian Gonzalez . But what about Josh Hamilton? Or maybe he could irk Teixeira by picking Curtis Granderson instead?
Will Fielder call on Mike Stanton even though the 21-year-old slugger probably won’t make the All-Star roster? Matt Kemp seems likely to get one spot, but no one else stands out. Stanton is certainly as promising a choice as any.
In any event, MLB actually has me thinking about the Home Run Derby for the first time in several years. So, I guess that makes this a pretty good idea.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)