Jun 30, 2011, 6:23 PM EDT
Apparently looking to add some interest for the Home Run Derby festivities, MLB today announced David Ortiz and Prince Fielder as captains for the event to be held the Monday before the All-Star Game.
Ortiz, the 2010 champion, and Fielder, the 2009 champ, will each get to pick their three teammates for the contest. Not limited to only selecting fellow All-Stars, Ortiz can choose anyone in the AL and Fielder anyone in the NL.
Whether it makes for a better Derby or not, the act of choosing should create more interest leading up to the event. It seems like a given that Ortiz will pick Jose Bautista as a teammate, leaving him two spots for Mark Teixeira, Miguel Cabrera or perhaps Red Sox teammate Adrian Gonzalez . But what about Josh Hamilton? Or maybe he could irk Teixeira by picking Curtis Granderson instead?
Will Fielder call on Mike Stanton even though the 21-year-old slugger probably won’t make the All-Star roster? Matt Kemp seems likely to get one spot, but no one else stands out. Stanton is certainly as promising a choice as any.
In any event, MLB actually has me thinking about the Home Run Derby for the first time in several years. So, I guess that makes this a pretty good idea.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 50
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)