Derek Jeter scheduled to rejoin the Yankees on Monday

Jun 30, 2011, 11:51 AM EDT

New York Yankees v Oakland Athletics Getty Images

General manager Brian Cashman said last night that Derek Jeter was on track to come off the disabled list early next week and now the Associated Press reports that the injured shortstop is scheduled to be back in the Yankees’ lineup Monday.

Before that happens Jeter will have to avoid a setback with his calf injury while playing in minor-league rehab games Saturday and Sunday, but returning Monday would give him a chance to make a run at 3,000 hits in Yankee Stadium before the All-Star break is followed by an eight-game road trip.

Jeter is currently six hits short of the milestone and has been out since June 13 despite initially saying he wanted to avoid the DL and play through the injury. He was eligible to return yesterday, so clearly forcing the DL stint was the right call by the Yankees.

Jeter, who posted career-worst marks in batting average (.260), on-base percentage (.324), and slugging percentage (.324) in 62 games prior to the injury, went through full workouts yesterday and reported no problems.

1. yankeesfanlen - Jun 30, 2011 at 12:02 PM

Oh, My Stars and Garters, and on our most patriotic of Holidays!

And on John Sterling and George Steinbrenner’s birthday. And have 6 hits and fly everyone to Yankee Stadium for a celebration.

Wherever will we find enough roses to fill the Rose Bowl?

2. yankeesgameday - Jun 30, 2011 at 12:11 PM

This is the kind of thing I should know off the top of my head, but I’m distracted these days… So someone tell us, what is the Yanks record since jeter has been on the DL?

• proudlycanadian - Jun 30, 2011 at 12:16 PM

I suspect that the Yankees have played better without the distraction of the chase for 3,000 hits.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jun 30, 2011 at 1:37 PM

Distraction, smishtraction…they have played better without 5 infield ground balls per game out of the lead-off spot. I am as big a Jeter fan as anyone, but let the guy bat 7th already!! Hopefully after # 3,000 the team will start making baseball sense out of the situation…

3. yankeesfanlen - Jun 30, 2011 at 12:15 PM

We’ve struggled, O wretched injuries!
    11-3.

4. Jonny 5 - Jun 30, 2011 at 12:29 PM

Hughes was tossing last night in Trenton, And I’m pretty sure Beep beep will be there this weekend too.

• yankeesfanlen - Jun 30, 2011 at 12:59 PM

Jonny, I’m just so excited about our hero’s triumphal return, I’m going to modestly make these two altruistic gestures:
      1) I’ll be rooting for the Phightins’ through Sept 30 (starting today especially)
      2) Choke down apple pie on Independence Day.

• Jonny 5 - Jun 30, 2011 at 1:23 PM

LOL!! Tomorrow is my birthday. I’ll give you one guess to accurately describe which dessert combo I have requested for my coworkers to supply me on this special occasion.

5. royalsfaninfargo - Jun 30, 2011 at 2:01 PM

I want him to get 3000 as soon as possible. Then we can back to talking about his .260 ave, .324 obp, .324 slg, and horrible defense. Sorry Yanks fans but facts are facts :-)!

• florida727 - Jun 30, 2011 at 7:04 PM

Your post makes sense. You’re a Royals fan. You have NOTHING to root for or blog about regarding your team, so it makes perfect sense that you’d be critical about one of the best shortstops ever to play the game.

BTW, do you know why Springfield, MO, doesn’t have a major league baseball team?

Because then Kansas City would want one too.

• royalsfaninfargo - Jun 30, 2011 at 7:29 PM

So because Im a Royals fan Im not allowed to make sarcastic remarks about other teams or players? Way to be a non-thinned skinned fan.

• wardhobby - Jun 30, 2011 at 7:19 PM

He gets off the disable list just in time to have his 3000 hit in Yankee Stadium. Didn’t the Commissioner make Hank Aaron bat in Cincinnati just before he hit his 715th!

Three legends off to Cooperstown