Don’t let the SI poll fool you: LeBron James stinks at baseball

Jun 30, 2011, 3:47 PM EST

lebron james yankees hat

This week’s Sports Illustrated has a poll asking MLB players “which athlete in another sport would make the best baseball player?” and LeBron James finished second with 13 percent of the vote, behind Michael Vick at 16 percent.

James is obviously an amazing athlete, but as Jon Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer explains he isn’t much of a baseball player:

Just after James was drafted, he took batting practice with the Reds in Cleveland. There was some kind of Nike-Ken Griffey Jr. connection. Anyway, James was the single worst hitter I’ve seen among athletes taking BP. He looked like he had never swung a bat. He hardly got any out of the cage. Tom Hume was throwing. He kept slowing it down and down. Finally, he was just trying to hit James’ bat. This was before iPhones that took video or you’d be able to find on You Tube.

Michael Vick, on the other hand, played baseball in high school and was actually drafted by the Rockies in the 30th round back in 2000.

1. yankeesfanlen - Jun 30, 2011 at 3:55 PM

He’s already in Miami, let him try out with the Feesh. Sounds like he’ll fit right in.

2. nps6724 - Jun 30, 2011 at 3:55 PM

Well really, how many 6’8″ guys ARE good at baseball (hitting-wise)?

• kopy - Jun 30, 2011 at 4:01 PM

I pretty much answered this question below but we commented on the same time. The answer: only Richie Sexson, and that was likely performance enhanced.

• kander013 - Jun 30, 2011 at 5:45 PM

dave winfield was pretty solid.

• nps6724 - Jun 30, 2011 at 5:50 PM

Winfield was actually 6’6″, same as Adam Dunn.

3. drmonkeyarmy - Jun 30, 2011 at 3:55 PM

I think Iverson would have made a good middle infielder.

• addictedzone - Jul 1, 2011 at 12:33 AM

He never would have showed for practice.

4. kopy - Jun 30, 2011 at 3:56 PM

Also, he would tie Richie Sexson as the tallest position player ever. I’m keeping in line with the report that he sucks at hitting to assume he wouldn’t pitch. Add that to the fact that, without the ‘roids that so many people think Sexson probably had, I would think James just doesn’t have the body for it.

• JBerardi - Jan 20, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Just out of curiosity, what evidence is there linking Sexon to PEDs? That he was a big guy and he hit some dingers?

5. Jonny 5 - Jun 30, 2011 at 4:07 PM

6. royalsfaninfargo - Jun 30, 2011 at 4:10 PM

SI has gone so far downhill. Outside of Joe Posnanski, I dont find anything they do interesting at all.

7. mvpolamalu - Jun 30, 2011 at 4:26 PM

What abbout Bo Jackson

• foreverchipper10 - Jun 30, 2011 at 5:15 PM

I don’t think Bo Jackson was 6’8.

• addictedzone - Jul 1, 2011 at 12:36 AM

Bo Knows (he was only 6’1″)

8. hansob - Jun 30, 2011 at 5:04 PM

I remember seeing the video the next day, and I remember being blown away because everyone I knew growing up who was really good at one sport was at least pretty decent at everything. But Lebron was HORRIBLE. He hit left-handed I think.

9. cktai - Jul 1, 2011 at 9:12 AM

I’d have gone for Chris Gayle

10. mox19380 - Jul 1, 2011 at 9:17 AM

Kind of silly to even include James in that poll when annually there are at least 3or4 footballer players who are drafted to the good baseball teams who pass up MLB for another sport (I.E. Desean Jackson was ranked #3 player in california high school baseball).

11. macjacmccoy - Jul 1, 2011 at 10:57 AM

Desean Jackson was drafted by the Phillies out of high school. He would probably make 1 hell of a center fielder and base stealer.

• macjacmccoy - Jul 1, 2011 at 10:59 AM

NM I had my facts wrong he was scouted by the Phillies out of High School but was committed to play football at Cal.

12. nightman13 - Jul 1, 2011 at 11:26 AM

Turns out LeBitch isn’t much of a basketball player either.

• kingbuccaneer - Jul 1, 2011 at 2:11 PM

Pull head your head out of your ass. BTW, I’m a Magic fan; the Heat can suck it.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester