Jun 30, 2011, 9:15 AM EST
As mentioned in the recaps, the Mets have been on an absolute offensive tear lately, scoring 16, 14, 8 and 14 runs in their last four games, respectively. Last night’s outburst was accompanied by 20 hits, and after Tigers’ middle reliever David Purcey was smacked around for four runs, Jim Leyland waved the white flag and put outfielder Don Kelly to pitch.
And he didn’t do half bad. He threw four pitches to Scott Hairston — ball, ball, a strike looking and a foul ball — before inducing a fly out to center field. His fastball was clocked at 86 MPH.
And hey: he’s the only Tigers pitcher wh who hasn’t given up a hit to Mets batters this series.
Viva la Don.
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 4
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 28
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 155
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 42
- Carlos Beltran likely to land with the Royals? 17
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (91)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (79)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (79)
- Robinson Cano says he never asked for $300 million (70)