Jun 30, 2011, 9:15 AM EDT
As mentioned in the recaps, the Mets have been on an absolute offensive tear lately, scoring 16, 14, 8 and 14 runs in their last four games, respectively. Last night’s outburst was accompanied by 20 hits, and after Tigers’ middle reliever David Purcey was smacked around for four runs, Jim Leyland waved the white flag and put outfielder Don Kelly to pitch.
And he didn’t do half bad. He threw four pitches to Scott Hairston — ball, ball, a strike looking and a foul ball — before inducing a fly out to center field. His fastball was clocked at 86 MPH.
And hey: he’s the only Tigers pitcher wh who hasn’t given up a hit to Mets batters this series.
Viva la Don.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 68
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 46
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)