Jun 30, 2011, 9:15 AM EDT
As mentioned in the recaps, the Mets have been on an absolute offensive tear lately, scoring 16, 14, 8 and 14 runs in their last four games, respectively. Last night’s outburst was accompanied by 20 hits, and after Tigers’ middle reliever David Purcey was smacked around for four runs, Jim Leyland waved the white flag and put outfielder Don Kelly to pitch.
And he didn’t do half bad. He threw four pitches to Scott Hairston — ball, ball, a strike looking and a foul ball — before inducing a fly out to center field. His fastball was clocked at 86 MPH.
And hey: he’s the only Tigers pitcher wh who hasn’t given up a hit to Mets batters this series.
Viva la Don.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 14
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 78
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 14
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)