Jun 30, 2011, 9:40 AM EDT
In all of our excitement over Bud Selig’s gung-ho attitude with respect to Frank McCourt — go get him, Bud!!! — let us not forget that Selig and Major League Baseball continue to sit passively as the Athletics die on the vine:
Last month, San Jose Mayor Chuck Reed sent a letter to Bud Selig. The letter was friendly. Reed simply asked the commissioner of baseball for a general timetable of when he might finally decide whether the A’s and owner Lew Wolff can pursue a new ballpark in the South Bay.
“We have to contemplate the timing of a future election,” Reed explained to Selig.
The letter was dated May 10. Reed still has received no answer.
The way in which baseball has let the A’s and their fans dangle like this is unconscionable.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 82
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 10
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 222
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (221)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)