Jun 30, 2011, 4:40 PM EDT
UPDATE: So much for avoiding the DL. Bill Ladson of MLB.com reports that Hairston will indeed be put on the shelf and is expected to miss 2-4 weeks.
Jerry Hairston Jr. suffered what the Nationals are calling a “small break” in his left wrist when he was hit by a Dan Haren pitch during yesterday afternoon’s game, but the veteran utility man hopes to play through the injury.
Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post reports that Hairston will be examined today by a doctor, so he may end up not having much choice in the matter if a disabled list stint is advised.
Hairston blamed the late-afternoon start time for the injury, explaining how tough it is to pick up the baseball coming out of a pitcher’s hand because of shadows:
Somebody’s going to get really, really hurt. He could have hit my head. Really difficult to pick up the ball, so it’s going to take something serious to change. I’ve got a broken wrist. It could have been way worse. What if he hit me in the face? It’s just terrible. It’s irresponsible. Maybe they think they draw another 5,000 or so, I don’t know, it’s just terrible. The pitchers at this level are too good.
Hairston has played 14 seasons in the majors, so he’d know better than most, but 4:00 pm start times for games are hardly rare and there isn’t a rash of plunkings stemming from them.
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 0
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 58
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)