Jun 30, 2011, 10:34 PM EST
Morneau had been bothered by the bone fragment for most of the regular season and decided to get it taken care of this week while he continues his recovery from a left wrist injury. The neck procedure is expected to sideline him for at least another six weeks, and perhaps the rest of the year.
Morneau, 30, has batted just .225/.281/.338 this season with four home runs and 22 RBI in 51 games. The native of Canada hasn’t been the same since suffering a concussion just before the 2010 All-Star break.
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (133)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)