Major League Baseball did not expect McCourt to file for bankruptcy

Jun 30, 2011, 8:49 AM EDT

Combination of file photos of MLB commissioner Bud Selig and Los Angeles Dodgers owner Frank McCourt

I can’t say that I knew what Frank McCourt would do. Hindsight suggests to me that bankruptcy was his only option if he wanted to cling to power for a while longer, but it’s not like it was inevitable or anything.  I’m a bit surprised, however, that Major League Baseball didn’t predict this, which is what is being reported in the L.A. Times:

“Even last Wednesday, I thought the way this was going to end was with him coming to the realization that he could not make payroll and saying, ‘You’ve got to cover me and I’ll sell the team,'” said a person familiar with league discussions but not authorized to speak publicly.

Whatever else you can say about the guy, Frank McCourt has a history of extreme tenacity and litigiousness. In light of that, I’m struggling to think why anyone with Major League Baseball expected him to merely roll over here. Maybe it wouldn’t have taken the form of bankruptcy — and maybe it’s all moot now — but how could anyone think that this wasn’t going to end in litigation of one kind or another?

1. Chris Fiorentino - Jun 30, 2011 at 8:54 AM

We’re talking about the same people who actually let this guy buy the team on the back of a parking lot 2500 miles away and a smile. Why should we think they would be any smarter year later?

• Old Gator - Jun 30, 2011 at 10:36 AM

I agree. To say that Bud Light is right for a change is not the same as saying that he’s gotten any smarter.

2. kopy - Jun 30, 2011 at 9:06 AM

That’s pretty incredible. I feel like the comment section of HBT had this guy pegged better than MLB. McCourt will do anything to hold onto this team as long as he can. Filing for bankruptcy is just an easy first step.

3. Old Gator - Jun 30, 2011 at 10:37 AM

Incidentally, Craig, there was a report on Yahoo sports yesterday that the judge tossed the auction or sale of the media rights that McCourt has asked for. I didn’t see it reported here. Who missed it first?

4. whitneymuse - Jun 30, 2011 at 10:48 AM

The stadium and Vince Scully are the two physical assets that they presently have. Get someone who values them.

5. lanflfan - Jun 30, 2011 at 4:21 PM

I still have great hatred for Bud $elig and his moronic policies. But, at least he is showing some sense of making up for past sins with pushing hard to get McCourt out. There is still a lot of work to do though, both for LA and baseball.

• Old Gator - Jun 30, 2011 at 9:57 PM

I suspect that l’affaire McCourt will wind up being Bud Light’s Iraq. He’ll leave office with the Dodger property issues yet wide open and festering for the new commish. Of course the main difference between Bud and Bush would be that Bud would leave with the game in overall pretty good financial shape and some positive accomplishments under his belt.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2807)