Jun 30, 2011, 6:00 PM EDT
Mark Teixeira‘s major league-leading 25th homer of 2011 Thursday against the Brewers was also his 300th career homer, as he moved into a tie for 129th place on the all-time list.
The Yankees ended up beating Milwaukee 5-0, with CC Sabathia matching his career high with 13 strikeouts in 7 2/3 scoreless innings. He became the first pitcher to reach 11 wins this season, though Justin Verlander matched him less than an hour later.
Teixeira broke a tie with Jose Bautista atop the home run standings with his 25th bomb. He’s hit four in his last five games.
With Teixeira’s inclusion, the 300-homer club is now 130 members strong. Five more players have a chance to join the list this year: Aramis Ramirez (298), Adrian Beltre (292), Pat Burrell (292), Carlos Beltran (291) and Magglio Ordonez (291).
- Hanley Ramirez exits game with apparent arm injury 0
- Nelson Cruz, Adrian Gonzalez named Players of the Month 11
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 94
- Report: Brewers hire Craig Counsell to replace Ron Roenicke 26
- Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke 54
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 1
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)
- Buck Showalter had some wise words about what’s happening in Baltimore (123)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (120)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)