Jun 30, 2011, 6:00 PM EDT
Mark Teixeira‘s major league-leading 25th homer of 2011 Thursday against the Brewers was also his 300th career homer, as he moved into a tie for 129th place on the all-time list.
The Yankees ended up beating Milwaukee 5-0, with CC Sabathia matching his career high with 13 strikeouts in 7 2/3 scoreless innings. He became the first pitcher to reach 11 wins this season, though Justin Verlander matched him less than an hour later.
Teixeira broke a tie with Jose Bautista atop the home run standings with his 25th bomb. He’s hit four in his last five games.
With Teixeira’s inclusion, the 300-homer club is now 130 members strong. Five more players have a chance to join the list this year: Aramis Ramirez (298), Adrian Beltre (292), Pat Burrell (292), Carlos Beltran (291) and Magglio Ordonez (291).
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 64
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 64
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 23
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 86
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 62
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29