Jun 30, 2011, 6:00 PM EDT
Mark Teixeira‘s major league-leading 25th homer of 2011 Thursday against the Brewers was also his 300th career homer, as he moved into a tie for 129th place on the all-time list.
The Yankees ended up beating Milwaukee 5-0, with CC Sabathia matching his career high with 13 strikeouts in 7 2/3 scoreless innings. He became the first pitcher to reach 11 wins this season, though Justin Verlander matched him less than an hour later.
Teixeira broke a tie with Jose Bautista atop the home run standings with his 25th bomb. He’s hit four in his last five games.
With Teixeira’s inclusion, the 300-homer club is now 130 members strong. Five more players have a chance to join the list this year: Aramis Ramirez (298), Adrian Beltre (292), Pat Burrell (292), Carlos Beltran (291) and Magglio Ordonez (291).
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 11
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 30
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 33
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)