Jun 30, 2011, 6:00 PM EDT
Mark Teixeira‘s major league-leading 25th homer of 2011 Thursday against the Brewers was also his 300th career homer, as he moved into a tie for 129th place on the all-time list.
The Yankees ended up beating Milwaukee 5-0, with CC Sabathia matching his career high with 13 strikeouts in 7 2/3 scoreless innings. He became the first pitcher to reach 11 wins this season, though Justin Verlander matched him less than an hour later.
Teixeira broke a tie with Jose Bautista atop the home run standings with his 25th bomb. He’s hit four in his last five games.
With Teixeira’s inclusion, the 300-homer club is now 130 members strong. Five more players have a chance to join the list this year: Aramis Ramirez (298), Adrian Beltre (292), Pat Burrell (292), Carlos Beltran (291) and Magglio Ordonez (291).
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 24
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 39
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 17
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 15
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 6
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)