Must-click link: The collected sins of Frank and Jamie McCourt

Jun 30, 2011, 2:03 PM EDT

Combination of file photos of Frank and Jamie McCourt during their divorce trial in Los Angeles

We all know that Frank and Jamie McCourt have run the Dodgers into the ground. But their failure has been so massive and all-encompassing, sometimes it’s hard to remember the specific episodes of futility, incompetence and avarice.

Thankfully, the Dodgers blog Mike Scioscia’s Tragic Illness has put together a list of the top 50 sins the McCourts have committed against the Dodgers, their fans and common decency.

What, Frank? You think no one was watching?

1. skerney - Jun 30, 2011 at 2:13 PM

Mind blowing. You can’t make this stuff up.

2. aceshigh11 - Jun 30, 2011 at 2:15 PM

A couple of sociopaths…talk about a match made in hell.

I think the only thing left for these two to do is run for Congress.

• hep3 - Jun 30, 2011 at 4:26 PM

I remember reading at one time that Jamie paid a public relations firm to do a study about the feasibility of running for public office up to and including a possible run for Governer of California.

She is an attorney that gets bored reading legal documents. She would be perfect in Congress like Ms. Pelosi: “We need to pass the bill so that we know what is in it.”

The McCourts need to own a baseball team in Fantasy Land.

3. Chris Fiorentino - Jun 30, 2011 at 2:16 PM

OK I went through all 50 of these so-called “sins” and here’s what I think…

1,2,3 are 100% the fault of MLB for allowing them…if they said to any one of you “Would you like to own a Major League team, but the debt will be a lot” which of you would have said “Nah, that’s OK” LOL.

4-9 happen all the time

10 is just weird

11, 12…so what…again…happens all the time

13…kinda reminds me of a certain third baseman who announced he would be getting out of his contract during the World Series…again…happens all the time.

The rest are mostly garbage about affairs, raising ticket prices, blah blah. You know what…if you don’t like the way the team is being run then DON’T BUY FRIGGING SEASON TICKETS!!! Another example of people thinking they have a right to root for a baseball team. It’s a privilege, NOT a right. Stop whining.

• aceshigh11 - Jun 30, 2011 at 2:23 PM

I can’t believe you’re blowing off so many of these egregious sins as “blah blah”.

These are NOT standard operating procedures for most MLB owners.

And of course Selig and MLB are culpable (as usual) for letting these frauds in in the first place, but that doesn’t excuse such incredible misconduct and neglect on the McCourts’ part.

• Chris Fiorentino - Jun 30, 2011 at 2:30 PM

“egregious sins”??? I can’t believe you are calling them that. The worst things on there are #22, 24, 25 and 51. Firing and bouncing checks to lower level employees and screwing over charities are the only things I feel bad about. The rest…blah blah blah.

• aceshigh11 - Jun 30, 2011 at 2:34 PM

I’m not saying all 50 rise to the level of egregious sins, but the bads items are BAD.

Are you denying that the McCourts literally looted this team to the bone?

• Chris Fiorentino - Jun 30, 2011 at 2:39 PM

I am denying that they did anything that…

1) Isn’t done in the business world every day

2) Isn’t done in the sports world every day

3) Did anything that MLB didn’t know about or SHOULD have known about.

See, I have a hard time feeling sorry for MLB when they knew or SHOULD HAVE KNOWN everything that was going on. And I refuse to hate too much on McCourt when he was only doing things that he, as the owner of the team, felt were right for him own benefit. If MLB had such a problem with him, they should have done something years ago. Nobody seemed to mind, though, when the Dodgers were playing well. Now that they sucks, all of a sudden, it’s “McCourt is ruining this team” Really? How about all the excitement he brought in 08 and 09 when the Dodgers and Phillies were playing in the NLCS??? Remember that? Oh yeah, I guess all these “egregious sins” happened AFTER 09, right? LOL.

• aceshigh11 - Jun 30, 2011 at 2:47 PM

Okay. Well if that’s how you feel, I can’t change your mind. It seems like a completely amoral worldview, though; as long as it personally benefited McCourt, then you’re okay with it, since he’s the owner.

I don’t know why you keep bringing up the “feeling sorry” strawman argument. As best as I can tell, no one is talking about feeling sorry for anyone anywhere in this thread.

This is simply, to my way of thinking, just jaw-droppingly bad business practices and a monumental failure to take fiduciary responsibility for anything.

• Chris Fiorentino - Jun 30, 2011 at 2:51 PM

Oh I agree with that notion 100%. He seems to be a terrible businessman.

The “feeling sorry” thing is because it seems like every single story and comment I read includes something about how terrible this is for Dodgers fans and how he is ruining a storied franchise. Then I remember that this is a team who was one step from the World Series not once, but twice in the last 3 years. Where do these fans get off whining about their team when they have tasted playoff baseball 4 times in the last 6 years. Ask fans of the Blue Jays, Royals, and Pirates if they wouldn’t trade franchises with you Dodger’s fans.

• cur68 - Jun 30, 2011 at 4:36 PM

Well Chris, as a Blue Jays fan I’m really torn. You see what got the Dodgers to the play offs was eventually ruined by McCourt. His practices were almost designed to destroy the team. I’d rather not see another Canadian ball club ruined by a greedy owner, but I would really like to see my boys back in the play offs. If you told me; “Playoffs 3 of next 4 years, but after that your club’s a wreck for the foreseeable” I’d be tempted but I think I say “No thanks. That aint no way to treat the Beavers”. This aint no way to treat the Dodgers IMO.

• Roger Moore - Jun 30, 2011 at 6:17 PM

I’ll say that #32- allowing a fan to be nearly beaten to death because you can’t bother to have a head of security- pretty egregious, too. It’s not as though the Stow beating was unprecedented, either; the Dodgers have had serious problems with fan violence, especially when playing the Giants, for years.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jun 30, 2011 at 2:34 PM

It’s a list of repeated poor moves by an MLB team owner. I don’t see it as whining at all. All that matters to me is that he misused the Dodgers money over that time in a way that affected the on-field product and now will drag this on for years in the courts. That’s not cool in my opinion.

• lanflfan - Jun 30, 2011 at 4:12 PM

Chris, you are either:

1. Frank or Jamie McCourt (or one of their attorneys);
      2. A major Dodger hater.

It’s cool if it’s 2. As a Dodger fan, I hate all things SF Giants. We all agree to disagree.

But I your views on fans “rights” are way off base. We, as MLB fans, have an expectation that team ownership is doing their best to provide us with a quality product on the field, all the time.

CLEARLY, that is NOT the McCourt’s intent. Their SOLE intent is/was to pillage Dodger fans for every last cent they have. I am not denying that, as the owners, they have/had the right to make a profit. They absolutely do. But, and this is a huge, Grand Canyon sized-but, when your greed and manipulation of the system devalues the team, reduces the quality of team the Dodger are able to field, AND causes MLB to appoint financial oversight, YES fans have every right in the world to complain.

What else are we supposed to do, shrug our shoulders and go do something else? Fans invest lots of time (and money) in their team. WE pay for the team by showing up to games, buying food and merchandise, and cheering on the team. Yes, there is revenue sharing. Why? Because WE, the FANS, want to see our team. And, if we aren’t happy about team ownership, what other course of action is there other than to complain and cease attendance until change is forced to occur.

Denying a fans right to complain about how their favorite team is being run, especially when it is being run so poorly it is now in bankruptcy court, is pretty close to saying its un-American to complain.

4. sdelmonte - Jun 30, 2011 at 2:17 PM

I had totally forgotten that the Dodgers were a good team just 18 months ago. Ow.

• hep3 - Jun 30, 2011 at 4:27 PM

Yeah, but they were on borrowed time and money back then.

5. royalsfaninfargo - Jun 30, 2011 at 2:21 PM

I read through that list and while no one can defend the McCourts and what they have done to the Dodgers some of these things are pretty petty and dont involve the team at all.

6. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jun 30, 2011 at 2:38 PM

I love how y’all are shooting the messenger here. The list is “living” and simply noting the dumb things that he’s done or that happened under the McCourt tenure. I find it pretty damn informative, but it isn’t a friggin’ reference piece or anything.

7. kopy - Jun 30, 2011 at 3:26 PM

Eh, Carl Pohlad tried to contract his team.

8. umrguy42 - Jun 30, 2011 at 4:43 PM

I’m “intrigued” by the fact that he locked out the MLB-appointed monitors. Did I miss the discussion on that?

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5055)