Jun 30, 2011, 12:46 PM EDT
Count Nolan Ryan among those in favor of MLB’s rumored realignment to matching 15-team leagues, as the Rangers team president said yesterday that he’d love to see the Astros join the Rangers in the American League West.
Ryan noted that having another Central Time Zone team in the division would be nice from a travel and television ratings point of view and opined that “having the Astros and the Rangers in the same pennant race would really stimulate interest in baseball in the state of Texas.”
Most speculation about potential realignment plans lists the Astros among the leading candidates to switch leagues and it makes sense to have a franchise from the six-team NL Central move to the four-team AL West if the shakeup does happen.
- Wrigley Field — the most human park in baseball — turns 100-years-old 10
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 59
- Albert Pujols becomes 26th member of 500 home run club 41
- MLB suspends Martin Maldonado, Carlos Gomez, Travis Snider, and Russell Martin for Easter brawl 48
- “Respect the Game?” Phooey. 106