Jun 30, 2011, 11:15 PM EDT
Matusz was shelled for eight earned runs in just 3 1/3 innings on Thursday night against the Cardinals.
The 24-year-old surrendered six earned runs in only 4 2/3 innings last week against the Reds and has allowed a total of 25 earned runs in 25 1/3 frames since returning from a lengthy early-season stay on the disabled list with an intercostal strain.
Matusz registered a 7-3 record, 3.63 ERA and 1.19 WHIP over his final 14 starts in 2010 and the Orioles were hoping for more of the same this year. But his fastball is down over 3 mph and his offspeed stuff is no longer fooling major league hitters.
Matusz is a great talent with a bright future in Baltimore, but something has clearly gone wrong.
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 2
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 81
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 75
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (81)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)