Jun 30, 2011, 11:15 PM EDT
Matusz was shelled for eight earned runs in just 3 1/3 innings on Thursday night against the Cardinals.
The 24-year-old surrendered six earned runs in only 4 2/3 innings last week against the Reds and has allowed a total of 25 earned runs in 25 1/3 frames since returning from a lengthy early-season stay on the disabled list with an intercostal strain.
Matusz registered a 7-3 record, 3.63 ERA and 1.19 WHIP over his final 14 starts in 2010 and the Orioles were hoping for more of the same this year. But his fastball is down over 3 mph and his offspeed stuff is no longer fooling major league hitters.
Matusz is a great talent with a bright future in Baltimore, but something has clearly gone wrong.
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 7
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 17
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 11
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)