Jun 30, 2011, 11:15 PM EST
Matusz was shelled for eight earned runs in just 3 1/3 innings on Thursday night against the Cardinals.
The 24-year-old surrendered six earned runs in only 4 2/3 innings last week against the Reds and has allowed a total of 25 earned runs in 25 1/3 frames since returning from a lengthy early-season stay on the disabled list with an intercostal strain.
Matusz registered a 7-3 record, 3.63 ERA and 1.19 WHIP over his final 14 starts in 2010 and the Orioles were hoping for more of the same this year. But his fastball is down over 3 mph and his offspeed stuff is no longer fooling major league hitters.
Matusz is a great talent with a bright future in Baltimore, but something has clearly gone wrong.
- Roy Halladay is retiring 52
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 42
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 60
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 48
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)