Quote of the Day: Jayson Werth

Jun 30, 2011, 10:30 AM EST

Jayson Werth

This is actually the quote of yesterday, but here’s Jayson Werth, talking about his contributions to the Nationals. Some of which he believes to be over and above the .223/.326/.390 line he has put up thus far:

I’d like to think that, me just being here, you know, is enough.  I don’t even have to take a bat out there.

I used to feel that way about me at the law firm. And then when it came time for the partnership vote I learned that — surprise surprise — performance mattered a bit more than I would have liked.

A shame, really.

1. Old Gator - Jun 30, 2011 at 10:34 AM

You theenk maybe he brought his karma weeth heem?

2. ditto65 - Jun 30, 2011 at 10:40 AM

Wow. Someone seems a bit full of himself.

And Craig, I always figured you didn’t become a partner because of your contrarian nature, not your work product.

• Craig Calcaterra - Jun 30, 2011 at 10:54 AM

“Performance” is a complicated word when it comes to the practice of law. The work product itself — the writing, the advocacy skills, the courtroom stuff — was pretty good, in my view (and even in the view of the people who told me to get lost).

Case management and client service/development were problems, however, I will freely admit. A lot of that had to do with my contrarian nature. A lot of it had to do with my occasionally crappy interpersonal skills. A lot of it had to do with the general burnout I was experiencing and motivation problems.

If my partnership candidacy doesn’t coincide with late 2008’s economic meltdown I may have skated on the “he’s a nice guy who can write a good brief and take a good deposition” basis on which many skated before me, but when tough decisions had to be made, passing me over and gently booting me out the door was a pretty easy decision to make. And frankly, I didn’t blame them for making it at the time and still don’t blame for it. I wouldn’t have made me partner either.

• Old Gator - Jun 30, 2011 at 12:17 PM

“Performance” is a complicated word when it comes to spam filtering too.

• Glenn - Jun 30, 2011 at 1:40 PM

So what you are saying is that you have the personality of a blogger?

3. mox19380 - Jun 30, 2011 at 10:41 AM

Well it was going to be a tough road for Werth without the protection of the Phillies lineup and even more so after Zimmerman went down… I would definitely recommend he take a bat up there. I doubt the Lerner’s want to pay $18mill for leadership

4. Jonny 5 - Jun 30, 2011 at 10:47 AM

Neanderthal!

5. cur68 - Jun 30, 2011 at 10:47 AM

Leadership? Werth? JAYSON Werth? Jayson Richard Gowan WERTH?

*eye roll*

6. mercyflush - Jun 30, 2011 at 10:53 AM

I think Werth is right actually. He doesn’t have to take a bat out there to help the team. In fact, he would actually be helping the team in a major way if he didn’t have any atbats. .390 SLG from the middle of the lineup? ouch.

7. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jun 30, 2011 at 10:54 AM

Espinosa and Morse are the best hitters on that team right now. You’re like…who? Exactly.

8. rjb23 - Jun 30, 2011 at 11:07 AM

How many of his teammate’s wives has he slept with so far?

9. 12strikes - Jun 30, 2011 at 11:24 AM

Stay Classy Jason!

10. aceshigh11 - Jun 30, 2011 at 11:33 AM

Man, you can’t make a quote like that up.

How does one get that out of touch with reality? Is it the money and celebrity that warps one’s sense of decorum and proportion?

• deathmonkey41 - Jun 30, 2011 at 1:43 PM

I think Jason gets out of touch with reality down a more organic road than money or celebrity.

11. FC - Jun 30, 2011 at 11:37 AM

Jayson Werth is the new Denny Crane. He just needs to walk into the batter’s box and yell at the pitcher: “JAYSON WERTH”

12. jamie54 - Jun 30, 2011 at 11:57 AM

Can we now add this year’s stats to his ‘book’ compiled by Boras and say how terrible he’s been next time he’s up for a new contract? Oh, forget that, with this deal there’s no doubt he’ll never have to play again after it’s over so really, what does he care now?

13. xmatt0926x - Jun 30, 2011 at 2:28 PM

Werth is just plain drunk. Those comments are just rediculous. He was always a little strange with the Phillies and maybe a little arrogant but this takes the cake. Even at his best he’s only a .270, 27 hr, 85 rbi kind of guy and his presence alone is enough? Man, talk about a guy who believes the Boras bullshit machine. Ryan Zimmerman must be vomiting as he reads those quotes and sees that awful contract.

14. schmedley69 - Jun 30, 2011 at 6:45 PM

Jayson Werth once knocked in 99 runs in a season. Show some respect for the future Hall of Famer.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester