Red Sox designate Mike Cameron for assignment

Jun 30, 2011, 12:30 PM EST

Cameron_Mike

Pete Abraham of the Boston Globe is reporting that the Red Sox have designated outfielder Mike Cameron for assignment (UPDATE: those reports of an outright release have been walked back).

It’s been a rough season for Cameron. He’s hitting .149/.212/.266 in 105 plate appearances. This after an injury-shortened and disappointing 2010 season in Boston as well.  He has played in only 33 games this year and has lost playing time to Darnell McDonald and Josh Reddick lately.

Cameron is in the second year of a two-year $15.5 million deal.  If he ends up getting released following the DFA period — which seems likely, because who wants to pay Cameron millions? — he can be had for the veteran minimum.  Assuming he’s healthy, I wouldn’t be shocked to see him picked up given his versatility and the fact that, in 17 major league seasons, I don’t think anything has had anything but good stuff to say about his attitude and character and all of that. He could be a useful fourth outfielder.

1. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jun 30, 2011 at 12:40 PM

17 seasons?!?!?!?!? Wow, I’m old.

2. marshmallowsnake - Jun 30, 2011 at 12:43 PM

and here I was hoping they would release the fictional young amateur detective in various mystery series for all ages.

• marshmallowsnake - Jun 30, 2011 at 2:13 PM

Did not know there were so many JD fans. I would expect all the Philly fans here to give this a thumbs up.

• purdueman - Jun 30, 2011 at 2:35 PM

I’m not a Red Sawx fan, but I have to admire Theo (Epstein)’s ability to manage turning the Red Sawx roster in order to keep it from growing too old and stale. Unlike the Yankees, who are headed towards fielding the oldest left side of the infield in baseball history with declining A-Rod and Jeter, Boston has managed to keep ahead of the curve and avoid getting locked into long term contracts that saddle them with big contracts of declining stars.

The timing of dumping Man-Ram and Jason Bay were both perfect examples, now the Red Sox dump Cameron (albeit a year too late, but still not bad timing either), and at the end of this season will dump slacker J.D. Drew as well. Cameron and Drew both got one year too many on their guaranteed contracts, but it also acted as a safety net with which to transition either to kids and/or free agent signings.

Meanwhile Theo proactively brings in Carl Crawford and stud Adrian Gonzalez, both not even in their primes yet, and locks them up to long term contracts while the rival Yankees this offseason bottom feed and trawl instead for the Colon’s, Garcia’s and Marquez’s of times gone by.

Bottom line? I truly have no dog in this fight, but the Red Sox are clearly headed north while the aging, long term big contract hamstrung Yankees are about to watch the sunset as they will soon fall behind Tampa Bay in the near term, with well stocked Toronto and Baltimore producing promising big leaguers hot on their heels.

• bigharold - Jun 30, 2011 at 6:40 PM

“…I have to admire Theo (Epstein)’s ability to manage turning the Red Sawx roster in order to keep it from growing too old and stale. Unlike the Yankees, who are headed towards fielding the oldest left side of the infield in baseball history with declining A-Rod and Jeter,…”

You are aware that on the whole, the RS were older than the Yankees by about a year? You know what they say, .. don’t let the facts get in the way of a good rant.

It’s OK to hate the Yankees but that doesn’t excuse you from getting your facts straight.

• purdueman - Jun 30, 2011 at 8:50 PM

But I don’t hate the Yankees (with the exception being goofball Nick Swisher), at all. I have no dog in the AL East fight, but I do call a spade a spade and if you’re so delusional as to not think that Jeter and A-Roid are now well past their primes, that’s a gamble I suppose that you’re willing to live or die by.

3. bloodysock - Jun 30, 2011 at 12:43 PM

He was DFA’d.

• purdueman - Jun 30, 2011 at 1:26 PM

When broadcaster Hawk Harrelson heard the news this morning, he quickly quipped: “He Gone!”.

• purdueman - Jun 30, 2011 at 11:16 PM

DFA’d? or do you mean DOA???

4. seanmk - Jun 30, 2011 at 1:10 PM

Yamaico Navarro recalled

5. Old Gator - Jun 30, 2011 at 2:30 PM

Welcome to Macondo, Mike. Trust me: these people will try anything.

6. dirtyharry1971 - Jun 30, 2011 at 3:25 PM

Cameron was my 2nd favorite free agent pickup for the suks, next to Jenks of course :)

7. rollinghighwayblues - Jun 30, 2011 at 3:49 PM

I’ve always been a big fan of Cameron and hate to see him go but hey, that’s baseball.
    This clip of Cameron barrelling down on Quintero will always make me admire his hard-nosed style be it either running the bases or snuffing out long fly balls in spacious Safeco.

8. patsandsox - Jun 30, 2011 at 4:51 PM

Too bad about Cameron. He seems like a great guy and had a darn good Career. I was all for this when they signed him but stuff happens. Now they need to pick up some young stud right fielder from a bottom feeding team who will be glad to take cheap prospects (Houston?)

Plus the money coming off this fall with Drew and Cameron will allow them to lockup a young right fielder for a while at a good price.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4772)
  2. M. Kemp (3778)
  3. M. Cabrera (2950)
  4. J. Kang (2916)
  5. J. Upton (2693)
  1. M. Morse (2647)
  2. W. Middlebrooks (2387)
  3. A. Rios (2328)