Jun 30, 2011, 2:14 PM EDT
Last night Ryan Zimmerman made his fourth throwing error in 15 games since returning from an abdominal injury and Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post writes that the third baseman made a decision to “overhaul his throwing mechanics in the middle of a season” to avoid future injuries.
Despite his struggles, Zimmerman told Kilgore that he’s sticking with the plan:
Just like any new thing, it’s going to take a little while. It’s obviously tough to learn while you’re at this level. But I get better every day. As far as the future, and getting more consistent, it’s worth it. It’s something I’m going to stick with and get better at.
It’s tough, but it’s better. If I thought that the way it was compared to this wasn’t going to be a big difference, I wouldn’t do it. But because I think it can make me a better player, that’s the ultimate goal. If I didn’t think it was worth it, I would maybe stop it and try to start it in the offseason. It’s going to be worth it in the long run.
Zimmerman was an elite, Gold Glove-caliber third baseman with his old throwing mechanics, so in that sense he’s fixing something that definitely wasn’t broken, but avoiding more time on the disabled list is the priority for now and the determination was made that his old throwing mechanics put him at further risk to aggravate the abdominal injury.
He’s also just 13-for-66 (.197) at the plate since returning from the DL, so altered throwing style or not Zimmerman’s struggles may have a lot to do with simply being rusty after two months off.
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 1
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 0
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 5
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 54
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 12
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)