Jun 30, 2011, 2:14 PM EDT
Last night Ryan Zimmerman made his fourth throwing error in 15 games since returning from an abdominal injury and Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post writes that the third baseman made a decision to “overhaul his throwing mechanics in the middle of a season” to avoid future injuries.
Despite his struggles, Zimmerman told Kilgore that he’s sticking with the plan:
Just like any new thing, it’s going to take a little while. It’s obviously tough to learn while you’re at this level. But I get better every day. As far as the future, and getting more consistent, it’s worth it. It’s something I’m going to stick with and get better at.
It’s tough, but it’s better. If I thought that the way it was compared to this wasn’t going to be a big difference, I wouldn’t do it. But because I think it can make me a better player, that’s the ultimate goal. If I didn’t think it was worth it, I would maybe stop it and try to start it in the offseason. It’s going to be worth it in the long run.
Zimmerman was an elite, Gold Glove-caliber third baseman with his old throwing mechanics, so in that sense he’s fixing something that definitely wasn’t broken, but avoiding more time on the disabled list is the priority for now and the determination was made that his old throwing mechanics put him at further risk to aggravate the abdominal injury.
He’s also just 13-for-66 (.197) at the plate since returning from the DL, so altered throwing style or not Zimmerman’s struggles may have a lot to do with simply being rusty after two months off.
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 4
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 7
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 27
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 58
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 4
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 78
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 36
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (187)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (101)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)