Jun 30, 2011, 3:15 PM EDT
Sad news from the Mets, as Willie Harris has left the team and been placed on the bereavement list after his wife lost their baby five months into her pregnancy.
Anthony DiComo of MLB.com reports that Harris’ wife unexpectedly went into early labor last night and the baby passed away this morning. The couple has two other children.
To replace Harris on the roster the Mets have called up Fernando Martinez, who’s been up and down several times over the years while hitting .186 in 143 plate appearances. Martinez’s prospect stock has steadily fallen and he was hitting just .266 with a .740 OPS at Triple-A, but he’s still just 23 years old.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (134)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)