Jun 30, 2011, 3:15 PM EDT
Sad news from the Mets, as Willie Harris has left the team and been placed on the bereavement list after his wife lost their baby five months into her pregnancy.
Anthony DiComo of MLB.com reports that Harris’ wife unexpectedly went into early labor last night and the baby passed away this morning. The couple has two other children.
To replace Harris on the roster the Mets have called up Fernando Martinez, who’s been up and down several times over the years while hitting .186 in 143 plate appearances. Martinez’s prospect stock has steadily fallen and he was hitting just .266 with a .740 OPS at Triple-A, but he’s still just 23 years old.
- Today is the Sox’ annual Patriot’s Day game. It’s more significant now than ever. 3
- Boswell: “Harper may be the Nats’ seventh-best player” 26
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 70
- Boston Marathon heroes remembered with pregame ceremony at Fenway Park 10
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 172
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (249)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (172)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)