Jun 30, 2011, 3:15 PM EDT
Sad news from the Mets, as Willie Harris has left the team and been placed on the bereavement list after his wife lost their baby five months into her pregnancy.
Anthony DiComo of MLB.com reports that Harris’ wife unexpectedly went into early labor last night and the baby passed away this morning. The couple has two other children.
To replace Harris on the roster the Mets have called up Fernando Martinez, who’s been up and down several times over the years while hitting .186 in 143 plate appearances. Martinez’s prospect stock has steadily fallen and he was hitting just .266 with a .740 OPS at Triple-A, but he’s still just 23 years old.
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 0
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 5
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 19
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)