Alex Rodriguez says Jose Reyes is “world’s greatest player”

Jul 1, 2011, 7:21 PM EDT

Alex Rodriguez and Jose Reyes embracing before last year's All-Star Game Reuters

ESPNNewYork.com got the juicy quote from Alex Rodriguez today, asking him how he feels about Jose Reyes and the Mets.

“They have the world’s greatest player playing shortstop over there, and the most exciting,” Rodriguez said. “I turn on the TV every time I get a chance to watch him.”

And Reyes’ response:

“I appreciate that from him. But that’s something that, it’s not going to go to my head,” he said. “But I appreciate that, that he said that. He’s a good friend of mine too, Alex. So it’s good, man. He’s one of the best players in the game. So I appreciate it.”

Of course, A-Rod’s comment could be portrayed as a dig at Derek Jeter.  That’s what happened two years ago, when, at the World Baseball Classic, A-Rod said of Reyes: “I wish he was leading off on our team or playing on our team, that’s fun to watch.”

Rodriguez later had to apologize because of the play the comment got in New York.  This one, though, should hardly be taken as a shot at Jeter, because it’s just laughable to even put Jeter and Reyes in the same league given the performance of both this year.  In 2009, Jeter vs. Reyes was a legitimate argument and A-Rod’s commented was fuel for the fire.

In 2011, A-Rod isn’t comparing Reyes to anyone on the Yankees, because there’s simply no one else like him in New York.

1. captainwisdom8888 - Jul 1, 2011 at 8:06 PM

A-rod loves a good bromance…

• proudlycanadian - Jul 1, 2011 at 8:17 PM

Actually, they both used the same Toronto doctor. See PFT story.

• shawnuel - Jul 1, 2011 at 8:57 PM

Yeah….usually with the guy he sees in the mirror……

2. pisano - Jul 1, 2011 at 8:11 PM

Yeah, and Carl Crawford is worth 20+mil. a year. By the way I have a bridge in Brooklyn that’s for sale if anyone’s interested.

3. shawnuel - Jul 1, 2011 at 9:01 PM

The Carl Crawford of 2007-2010 definitely brings back in excess of $20 mil per year in value. This season? Not so much……but even a good-sighted squirrel gets hit by a car occasionally.

• genericcommenter - Jul 1, 2011 at 10:46 PM

WAR of 15.7= $80 Million? In 1 of those seasons he was below average at the plate. He had only 1 really good season batting. For his career he’s never been very good getting on base. Defense was good. Running was good, but worth $20 mil+?
      We’ve had a lot more players deserving of $300-400 million in lifetime earnings than I realized. What’s an average regular worth? $15 million?

• Ari Collins - Jul 2, 2011 at 1:03 AM

I think average is around $10M now.

Crawford’s been worth $20M only twice, but it was the two years before this. And he’s averaged $19M a year over his career.

4. 27xwschamps - Jul 1, 2011 at 9:17 PM

Hey pay rod !!! Stay jealous !!! NY is jeter town ur a nobody !!!!

5. yankeesfanlen - Jul 1, 2011 at 9:40 PM

Next time ARod will just say it bout himself. THAT wouldn’t cause any controvery at all.

• ditto65 - Jul 2, 2011 at 8:29 AM

But will he be looking at himself in the mirror when he says it?

6. Panda Claus - Jul 1, 2011 at 9:48 PM

ARod is right about Reyes being the best player right now.

But I seriously expect that to change back to normal after Reyes signs on the dotted line and starts collecting on his new contract.

• Kevin S. - Jul 2, 2011 at 1:36 PM

You do realize that “normal” for Reyes is All-Star, top two at his position, right?

7. 27xwschamps - Jul 2, 2011 at 2:05 AM

U havent been good since u got OFF the roids….u’ll never be respected as a real NYY…get over ur’self !!!

• Kevin S. - Jul 2, 2011 at 1:37 PM

You do know he’s arguably one of the ten-best players in baseball this year, right?

8. 27xwschamps - Jul 2, 2011 at 2:19 AM

Hey cashman !!! Trade that sorry ASS pay rod to the jv (mets) if he wants to play with reyes that bad..he makes me sick.. Me me me …

• JBerardi - Jul 2, 2011 at 10:17 AM

“Me me me …”

Yes, calling Jose Reyes the world’s greatest player shows, yet again, just how self-centered Alex Rodrigez is.

9. 27xwschamps - Jul 2, 2011 at 2:27 AM

Been a NYY fan since ’57 never seen a more self centered player player since reggie jackson but reggie WAS the straw that stirred the drink….Put up or shut up !!

10. 27xwschamps - Jul 2, 2011 at 2:29 AM

LOVE U REGGIE !!!! NYY TILL DEATH..

11. JBerardi - Jul 2, 2011 at 10:18 AM

The worst thing about Alex Rodriguez might be all the internet dumb-stupid he inspires. Yeesh.

• tknet1 - Jul 5, 2011 at 9:28 AM

Are you surprised that the worlds dumbest player would make a comment like that. Cano is undoubtedly a better player with a more stable mind. He is also much more mature and very consistent over the last few years. I also would rather have Cano in my clubhouse any day of the week – Cano don’t you Know!

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5089)