And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights

Jul 1, 2011, 5:38 AM EST

Giants Cubs Baseball

Cubs 5, Giants 2: Just your standard hit-a-tying-homer-off-the-World-Champs’-closer-in-the-ninth/hit-a-three-run-walkoff-homer-in-the-13th-inning kind of game for the Cubbies. Aramis Ramirez and Geovany Soto did the honors on those homers, respectively. Another in a long series of wasted Matt Cain starts for the Giants.

Tigers 5, Mets 2: Justin Verlander watched the Mets’ blitzkrieg from the dugout on the previous two nights and apparently decided that enough was enough. He has been sharper lately — he only struck out 6 — but he only allowed a run in seven innings. After the game Verlander trotted out the old “good pitching beats good hitting” saw. Which is something that is only said after someone pitches well. Because, by definition, if the hitting wins it wasn’t good pitching.  Think about that for a while and it will blow your friggin’ mind.

Yankees 5, Brewers 0: CC Sabathia was dominant, striking out a career high 13, all of them swinging. Those who watched said that his slider was the best it has ever been. Some days you just wake up with a spring in your step, I guess. Mark Teixeira hit his 300th career homer, and now leads the majors in bombs this year with 25.

Marlins 5, Athletics 4: The Feesh almost frittered away a 5-0 lead when the A’s charged late, but the defenses held. June, mercifully, is over for the Marlins. They finish the month with five wins.

Red Sox 5, Phillies 2: Anyone who had guessed that Jason Varitek was going to hit two homers in this one, raise their hand. Not so fast … everyone. Cole Hamels left early, but it really didn’t matter, because Jon Lester was on point (7 IP, 2H 0 ER). The Sox’ shaky bullpen made it look closer than it ever felt.

White Sox 6, Rockies 4: Colorado blew a 4-1 lead and Juan Pierre hit the go-ahead single in the 10th. Chicago takes two of three from Colorado and now head back to Illinois to face the Cubs.

Pirates 6, Blue Jays 2: Jeff Karstens yields but two runs over seven innings. The Jays, as is their wont, get a couple of runs on dingers, but are unable to string anything else together.

Cardinals 9, Orioles 6: I think I said something about “Lance Berkman not being able to keep this up” during yesterday’s HBT Daily video. The answer, as always, is that I’m a moron. Two homers for Berkman as the Cardinals complete the series sweep of Baltimore. A series they utterly dominated.

Astros 7, Rangers 0: Wandy Rodriguez and three relievers combine for the four-hit shutout. Jason Michaels had a homer and three RBI. The win snaps an eight game home losing streak for Houston.

1. uyf1950 - Jul 1, 2011 at 6:05 AM

The Yankees completed a sweep a very good Brewers team. CC Sabathia had an excellent outing going 7 2/3 innings with 13 K’s, 2 BB and no Earned Runs. A very good outing for CC. Also, Tex hit the 300th HR of his career and currently leads the ML this season in HR’s. All in all Thursday was a very good day for the Yankees. That last sentence is just my opinion.

• wlschneider09 - Jul 1, 2011 at 7:58 AM

Couldn’t you throw in a bit about injuries? If you don’t Fiorentino will have nothing to yell about, and it just won’t feel right….

• Chris Fiorentino - Jul 1, 2011 at 8:32 AM

Yell, or point out? Now that they are 2 1/2 in first place, I haven’t heard a peep about the “depleted Yankees”. I guess we’ll have to wait until the next losing streak to hear their tales of woe.

Besides, uyf isn’t one of the whiners anyway. He and Len are the two most knowledgeable Yankees fans on the board and they knew where I was coming from.

• wlschneider09 - Jul 1, 2011 at 9:32 AM

Duly noted, no yelling, just pointing. It was meant to be a good-natured jab at both Yankee and Phillie denizens.

These things always sound so much funnier in my head.

• bleedgreen - Jul 1, 2011 at 7:58 AM

Thanks for rewording exactly what Craig wrote about the game.

• uyf1950 - Jul 1, 2011 at 8:59 AM

To bleedgreen, what can I tell you other then to say great minds think alike. Have a nice day and thank you for the compliment.

• yankeesfanlen - Jul 1, 2011 at 9:46 AM

My take from the game is the BrewCrew has that far Midwest problem that they share with the Twins. Braun-Fielder have to be hot together like Mauer-Morneau or things don’t work effectively vs the Yanks. Braun had 3 hits and a BB, Fielder had nothing.
      Course, CC was mowing them down, almost too many K’s. And we had our worst lineup in-Jones, Cervelli (who only hits with RISP) Pena and Nunez. Joe is saving us for the Metropolitans
      Over at W Fans Are Nuts the delusional Lloyds from Bensonhurst are convinced that Reyes will play the infield by himself and hit 7 or 8 five-run triples. [sigh].

• spudchukar - Jul 1, 2011 at 10:18 AM

The Geographic location has nothing to do with Brewers unproductive trip into New York. They struggle against everybody on the road. 15-27. They are near unbeatable at home 29-11. So enamor yourself with the “midwest farm boys get all starry eyed when the set foot in Gotham” if you choose but the reality is they suck just as bad in Kansas City.

• spudchukar - Jul 1, 2011 at 10:19 AM

*they

• uyf1950 - Jul 1, 2011 at 10:30 AM

spudchukar, my friend. There for a minute I thought you were going to say they suck just as bad as the Twins, Cubs or Astros. Which to be fair are only a slightly better and I do mean only slightly better road teams based on their respective records.

2. ditto65 - Jul 1, 2011 at 7:54 AM

Craig, you blew my friggin’ mind!

• yankeesfanlen - Jul 1, 2011 at 9:50 AM

My mind is already bklown, but I’ve gone by this philosophy for years. If we score 7 or 8 runs it doesn’t matter if they have Halladay or Verlander or Zippy the Wonder Chimp hurling.

3. drmonkeyarmy - Jul 1, 2011 at 7:57 AM

So, the Phillies are sending Kendrick to the mound today. He takes a lot of abuse from fans, but I like Kyle Kendrick. I think what frustrates people is that he generally only has 2 types of preformances; either he is dominant or he is head shaking awful. Seldom does he go out there and just pitch ok. Furthermore, I don’t think that Dubee likes him and I think that has a negative impact on KK’s psyche. Dubee sprints out of the dugout to yell at Kyle when he is struggling. The look on KK’s face when that happens is of pure terror. It makes me think that Dubee locks him in the closet or under the bullpen stairs if he has a bad side session. Dubee needs to stop with the ‘angry father’ routine and buy “The Idiots Guide to Being a Pitching Coach” to learn how to do his job.

• Phillies Homer - Jul 1, 2011 at 8:14 AM

I’ve been a Kendrick sympathist ever since they played that Japan prank on him! I’ve always liked the guy for some reason but completely agree about his “2 types of performances”. It is true and unfortunately for KK the awful performances overshadow his good ones even though they’ve been happening less frequently as late.

• Jonny 5 - Jul 1, 2011 at 8:31 AM

You guys almost have it right about KK. The “2 types of performances” He puts up are not really “Bad” or “Dominant”. They are either “Bad” or “Lucky” most of the time. I know Dr monkey isn’t a fan of some stats, but they tell you something about Kyle. He has been lucky more than he has been “dominant”. And if you think about it real hard, without the stats, nothing but memory here, you’d probably agree. I like Kyle too, but he’s not developed past a bottom of the order pitcher who’s ERA is more of a result of luck and good defense, than it is his pitching prowess.

• Chris Fiorentino - Jul 1, 2011 at 8:33 AM

Here’s the thing that really bugs me about KK…he is the master of giving back runs. Watch today…the Phillies will put up a run or two in the top half, and KK will inevitably walk the leadoff hitter the next inning. Which will lead to a run or two. Always. Happens.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 1, 2011 at 8:43 AM

Be that as it may, I think that we can all agree that the most unlikely scenario is for him to give up 3 runs in 6-7 innings today. Its either going to be something along the lines of 7 runs in 3 2/3 or 1 run through 6 or 7.

• Jonny 5 - Jul 1, 2011 at 9:02 AM

LOL!!! Yes. That’s about what we can expect.

• cur68 - Jul 1, 2011 at 9:24 AM

Couple 3 things fellas;
        1) I hope KK reads this stuff: He’ll be so demoralized from the assessment of his performance by some of the Phillies most hardcore, knowledgeable fans that he’ll serve up tater after tater, baked, mashed, scalloped, however the Jays like ‘em.

2) With any luck, John Farrell also reads Craig’s morning walk thru of the previous day’s games. Armed with this scouting report, courtesy of some of the Phillies most hardcore, knowledgeable fans he’ll send his hitters out there hopefully without their heads up their collective behinds for a change.

3) There is every chance that this game will be largely pitched by the Philly bullpen. So. How’s your bullpen look?

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 1, 2011 at 9:39 AM

Cur,
        50/50 on whether he has a good outing or poor one. Nobody knows and it is something that can’t be predicted. If I wouldn’t watch the game and you told me his scoreline afterwards, I wouldn’t be surprised by anything you told me good or bad. Anyway, what the hell is Canada Day and what is it’s significance in Canadian culture? Also, do you follow the local MLS team up in Toronto?

• cur68 - Jul 1, 2011 at 9:56 AM

Mornin’ ‘army. I stay away from football these days for the most part. Too much flopping around for a guy who grew up with hockey. I played for years, till I realized that it was not a sport I played well enough to go anywhere with (ditto baseball). Unlike baseball, which doesn’t feature flopping around like a landed carp, I’ve given up following football due to boredom with watching Toronto FC get scored on by 10 year olds. The Jays have at least a 50/50 chance of out scoring an opponent.

According to public records, the actual significance of July 1 has to do with the British North America Act. Was back in 18 something-or-other when the 3 colonies begged the sitting British monarch to not crush them and could we please, if you don’t mind, your royal personage, could we be a country? Got a real spiffy name picked out and everything. We’ll put whichever of you is currently on the throne on our money with an assortment of animals that we slaughter so you can wear their hides (I’m sure it was the mighty beaver on the other side of the King’s head that really swayed the Brits to let us become a country), and we’ll join you in any wars you might be embroiled.

In actual fact Canada Day is an excuse for all Canadians to go on a 4 day bender in the woods. I’m abstaining; got a house to renovate and sell, just got my thesis corrections back: The buggers are STILL after me to change it up to a PhD (they can get f%^ked), and am so exhausted that I’m falling asleep in front of my nightly PVR’d ball games.

• Jonny 5 - Jul 1, 2011 at 10:29 AM

Cur, You will be happy to know that I just ate Apple pie and Vanilla bean ice cream as I celebrated the dual holiday of Canada day (secondary non important holiday) And my birthday (a future national holiday I’m sure). Yes, Apple pie on Canada day so there’s that to stew on some. And about Kendrick? Flip a coin.

• cur68 - Jul 1, 2011 at 10:41 AM

Hey, 5; Happy birthday and such. Did you get new dilithium crystals for your little robot body or just a fresh coat of paint? Have a piece of cake:

In barely hours the KK-RR duel begins. The battle of the alliterative pitchers, I’m calling it. Our guy, Ricky Romero, is more the 70-30 sort, vs your 50/50 guy. It’s going to probably be down to if the Jays offense shows up and how good the Philly booolpen is, rather than if your boys can hit Romero’s curve ball. They probably can’t but that’s going to be down to the roof being open or closed. Open and not even Ricky knows where its going if there’s any wind at all. Closed and he’s dynamite.

How’s Kendrick in the wind?

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 1, 2011 at 12:14 PM

Cur,
        Why wouldn’t you want to make your thesis a PhD thesis? Then you can call yourself Dr.Cur.

4. Phillies Homer - Jul 1, 2011 at 8:10 AM

The loss of Cole Hamels “really didn’t matter because Jon Lester was on point”? That makes no sense if the game is 0-0 after 7 innings and maybe Howard manages to get that 2 run bomb in the 9th, but in walk off fashion.

So, I think… the loss of Cole Hamels really did matter since he was also “on point” prior to taking that liner off his hand.

• yankeesfanlen - Jul 1, 2011 at 9:29 AM

Here we go with Phightins’ fans complaining about injuries again.

• Phillies Homer - Jul 1, 2011 at 9:43 AM

Haha… yea — because this statement was me complaining that Hamels got hurt rather than pointing out Craig’s “the injury didn’t matter” was way off base.

If Lester had a 1 or 2 run lead when Hamels got hurt… then, yea, you can say that, with the way Lester was pitching, it may not have mattered. But, the game was tied at 0… and Craig even noted a “shaky Sox bullpen”… so the injury most definitely did matter. Again, not a complaint…

I’m also assuming that your comment was a jab at Fiorentino’s comments towards Yankees fans’ complaints… but… I felt like defending my post anyways.

• Chris Fiorentino - Jul 1, 2011 at 10:22 AM

LOLZ…zing Lenny. You here all week? ;)

• Ari Collins - Jul 1, 2011 at 10:34 AM

You have a definite point, but I think you can argue that Hames wasn’t likely to keep pitching shutout baseball (not that he’s incapable of it, just that it’s more likely he gives up a run or two). Whereas Lester DID keep pitching shutout baseball. And Bobby Jenks doesn’t come in if the game is close at all.

• Phillies Homer - Jul 1, 2011 at 10:50 AM

Yea… but still a stretch to say Hamels’ injury didn’t matter. I know it’s a completely different ball game if he’s in there, the score is close and what pitchers are used. But the fact that the Red Sox scored the first inning Hamels was taken out definitely does mean this injury “mattered”.

Oh well — just happy they took 2 of 3 from the Red Sox! And the starters looked dominant against that “somewhat depleted yet still powerful” offense. If it’s going to take Jason Varitek to homer twice in a game for them to win a Jon Lester start… then tip o the cap!

5. Chris Fiorentino - Jul 1, 2011 at 8:35 AM

Craig, Cole(4 IP, 2H 0 ER) was as much “on point” as Lester was…are you trying to imply that Lester “knows how to win” more than Hamels ;)

• aceshigh11 - Jul 1, 2011 at 10:28 AM

Considering Lester has the highest winning % in of any starter in history with at least 100 starts (I believe), then yeah, I’d say so.

• Chris Fiorentino - Jul 1, 2011 at 10:47 AM

Thanks for that tidbit, Joe Morgan.

• aceshigh11 - Jul 1, 2011 at 10:53 AM

Ouch!

Comparing anyone to Joe Morgan is about the lowest blow in baseball.

Unless you’re referring to my second-base skills…in that case…thank you. :)

• Chris Fiorentino - Jul 1, 2011 at 11:02 AM

If you seriously think that Lester’s winning % means he “knows how to win more than Hamels” then you are closer to Mr. Morgan than you think. Of course, if you were just messing with me, then I am sorry I missed the sarcasm.

• aceshigh11 - Jul 1, 2011 at 11:08 AM

I think the whole concept of “knowing how to win” is stupid to begin with…we’ve been making fun of that meme on HBT for a while now.

Nevertheless, Lester being in possession of that record is somewhat impressive considering all the great pitchers in the history of the game.

It’s overrated stat for sure, if that’s what you’re getting at.

• Chris Fiorentino - Jul 1, 2011 at 11:17 AM

Yes, that’s what I was getting at with my jab at Craig. You kinda sounded like you were ripping my jab at Craig. My apologies that you do see that it is an overrated stat. Not that it isn’t impressive…and I love Lester. But if you asked me now, who would you rather have Lester or Hamels, I would take Hamels every day of the week and twice on Sunday…winning pct or no winning pct.

• APBA Guy - Jul 1, 2011 at 10:50 AM

Chris-left a long comment on Moneyball on the Mark Ellis post late yesterday.

• Chris Fiorentino - Jul 1, 2011 at 10:56 AM

I saw it and responded this morning…thanks. To summarize, your post was very enlightening, but it still didn’t answer the narrow question of whether I am wrong to think that “95% of the success of the A’s was because of Hudson, Zito and Mulder and the other 5% was finding undervalued players” And even the 5% seems a stretch to me ;)

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 1, 2011 at 1:35 PM

What about Giambi being on the juice? Does that factor into your equation at all?

6. Old Gator - Jul 1, 2011 at 9:54 AM

Two wins in a row for the Feesh. Who knows what other deeply rooted cultural biases and pseudo-scientific presuppositions we must reexamine in the light of this phenomenon?

June was, officially, the worst month in Feesh history. Worse than any month in 1993. Worse than any month in 1998. Worse than any month in the “market correction” of 2005. Worse than any month in Joe Robbie Stadium. Worse than any month in Pro Robbie stadium. Worse than any month in JoeProDol stadium. Worse than any month in JoeProDolShark stadium. Worse than any previous month in Joeprodolsharklife stadium.

I said, I said, I said it was a baaaaaad month.

Do I make myself clear?

Chris Volstad through seven solid innings before the boolpen, in anticipation of the official opening of grilling season this weekend, began sprinkling briquette lighter fluid on the As batters in the dim innings. It is definitely time for the Feesh to consider shopping or DFAing some of the boolpen salvadores they thought they were getting over the weenter, chief amongst them Mike Dunn, the second coming of Kevin Gregg (and what rough beast, its hour come round at last, slouches in from the boolpen to be shelled?), who in his last ten appearances has gone 0-3 with no saves, walked ten and posted a 5.11 ERA. He also has demonstrated an uncanny knack for coughing up deengers; in fact that’s become one of his trademarks (the other being a pat on the rump from the manager). It doesn’t make much sense to keep going back to the same well when it’s ringed with mummified camel carcasses, does it?

Tonight, the Rangers. Anibal Sanchez starts, looking for his sixth consecutive no-decision.

• Old Gator - Jul 1, 2011 at 9:56 AM

Oh yeah, and APBA Guy: light, no sugar please.

• APBA Guy - Jul 1, 2011 at 1:59 PM

Check out the thumbs down! Folks, OG and I had a bet for some quality coffee riding on this series. If the Feesh won, he got his choice from Blue Bottle. If the Feesh stank, I’d get a cafe Cubano.

He won.

• cur68 - Jul 1, 2011 at 10:02 AM

Jeez man, quoting Yeats now? That’s true despair, if I’m any judge. If this is the state of things when they string wins together I’m surprised at your relative restraint when they lose. From here out double your coffee intake. You wont be any happier but you’ll have the energy to wax poetic about it and I do so look forward to these posts of yours.

• Old Gator - Jul 1, 2011 at 1:22 PM

Okay, beaverboy, you asked for it. June is the cruelest month….

• spudchukar - Jul 1, 2011 at 10:24 AM

Any Foghorn Leghorn reference makes my day, Spudchukars come from the same avian family.

• Old Gator - Jul 1, 2011 at 1:20 PM

Tell the truth now: when was the last time you saw a Foghorn Leghorn reference and a Yeats reference in the same post on a baseball blog? HAH?

7. spudchukar - Jul 1, 2011 at 10:28 AM

One doesn’t have to be “on point” to set down the offense of the Phightens, just OK usually works.

• cur68 - Jul 1, 2011 at 10:51 AM

Excellent (dry washes hands a la Montgomery Burns). How’s their bullpen, though? No will tell me exactly. All I know is that Denny’s B, and Bastardo (god I hope Bastardo gets in the games; I can’t wait to start yelling at him!) I don’t really know what to expect.

• cur68 - Jul 1, 2011 at 10:57 AM

Well that wasn’t too coherant, now was it? Take 2; “All I know is that Dany’s B and Bastardo (god I hope Bastardo gets in the games; I can’t wait to start yelling at him!) are polar opposites (Dany’s loses ‘em and Bastardo saves ‘em) so I don’t really know what to expect from the rest of that mötley crüe. Any thoughts?

• Chris Fiorentino - Jul 1, 2011 at 10:58 AM

If the Phillies are winning late, the bullpen with Stutes and Bastid has been lights out. If it is tie or they are losing, expect some serious piling on as Baez sucks while Herndon blows. Enjoy today and KK, because tomorrow and Sunday may not be too much fun for you.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 1, 2011 at 11:51 AM

Leave Herndon alone!!!

8. spudchukar - Jul 1, 2011 at 10:59 AM

St. Louis would like to make the case for playing Baltimore 6 times each year, rather than Kansas City. This is their first excursion into Camden Yards and a rather enjoyable trip it turned out to be. Since the Orioles were once the Browns, and played in St. Louis, the argument that they are a more natural rival holds water. Thanks for being such kind hosts, hope to visit more often. Sure is a great place to play. Sorry you didn’t get to see Phat Albert.

For those Berkman doubter’s, that is now 20 HR’s. That’s right 2-0. Trails only Kemp and Fielder in the NL. Ahead of Howard. The same as Howard and Utley together. And he has done it in 50 fewer plate appearances. Yep, you guessed it, I still like Lance a Lot.

Off to Tampa Bay, before returning home for a home stand going into the All-Star break. So if we can hang together until then, the second half offers the return of Pujols, then Waino, the trade for Heath Bell complete, late season call up of Shelby Miller. Ahh, the future looks bright. But first the Rays. Yes I am conflicted, no joy in besting my fav from the AL, but 2 of 3 would suffice. Can one enjoy a weekend at the Trop, well OG would certainly warn me in his inimitable way, but a little AC, before returning to the July, Hades-like climes, of St. Lou, cannot be all bad.

• Chris Fiorentino - Jul 1, 2011 at 11:07 AM

Potatoman…the Cardinals are 6-12 their last 18…and 5 of those 6 wins were against the Orioles and Royals(the other win was against an injured Oswalt) Let’s see them win 7 of the next 10 against the Rays, Reds and D-Backs before we crown them NL Central Chumps.

• spudchukar - Jul 1, 2011 at 11:30 AM

Philadelphia vs. St. Louis in 2011. 2 Wins, 3 Losses.

“Injured Oswalt”-playin’ the ol’ woe is me, we were beat up card again I see.

• Chris Fiorentino - Jul 1, 2011 at 11:48 AM

LOL ya got me there…the Phightins were DEPLETED the night the Cardinals whipped their asses 12-1. DEPLETED!!!!

p.s. they did get 6 of those runs off Danys Baez…

9. Phillies Homer - Jul 1, 2011 at 10:59 AM

When do the Phillies say enough is enough with Ben Francisco? Another 0-4 performance at the plate and didn’t he have a costly misplayed ball that led to a double which turned into the 1st run of the game??

Beginning of the year I was thinking Ben was going to keep Dom Brown in the minors, with a breakout season… but, man, can we just “J.C. Romero” Francisco?? Hell, I’d rather have Pete Orr up to plate than this guy, not too mention the defensive upgrade John Mayberry would be!

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 1, 2011 at 11:56 AM

This guy is talking some sense. Ben Fran is just awful. I don’t think Mayberry can hit either, but he brings much more to the table then Francisco. For instance, Mayberry can steal a base, he is an excellent outfielder, and just seems like a super awesome guy. The real question is, why is Michael Martinez still on the roster? Don’t start that Rule 5 nonsense, either. He is 28 and awful. Pete Orr should be up in his place…..or even Brian Bocock. Speaking of Bocock, I look at the minor league boxscores every night and a couple nights ago Bocock had 2 HR’s. I was astonished. So, I ask Phillies fans which was the more improbable thing: Bocock hitting 2 HR in a AAA game or Wilson Valdez pitching a scoreless inning against the heart of the Reds line-up? I say Bocock.

10. APBA Guy - Jul 1, 2011 at 1:57 PM

I wouldn’t say 95%. More like 40-50%. Remember the A’s had Giambi and Tejada do back-to back MVP’s, along with their Moneyball players (check out Stairs OPS from that period.) But as a Phillies fan, you know the value of having 3 guys who can win every time they take the hill, so there is no doubting they had huge value to that team.

• Chris Fiorentino - Jul 1, 2011 at 2:56 PM

Yeah, but Giambi and Tejada were from 1992 and 1993 respectively…they don’t get lumped into the Moneyball concept, do they? I mean…Billy Beane wasn’t even one of the top executives at that time, was he? He wasn’t an asst GM until 1994, so I guess he could have been involved in those pick-ups, but I never associated Giambi and Tejada as Moneyball guys. If they were, then OK.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (3193)
  2. J. Kang (3072)
  3. C. McGehee (2785)
  4. W. Middlebrooks (2759)
  5. J. Upton (2745)