Cole Hamels hoping to start Tuesday despite hand injury

Jul 1, 2011, 2:46 PM EDT

Philadelphia Phillies starting pitcher Cole Hamels reacts to a balk call during the fifth inning of their Interleague MLB baseball game against the Oakland Athletics in Philadelphia

Cole Hamels exited yesterday’s game in the fifth inning after taking an Adrian Gonzalez line drive off his non-pitching hand and Todd Zolecki of MLB.com reports that he “had his visibly swollen and bruised right hand bandaged this morning.”

However, the X-rays came back negative and Hamels said he’s hoping not to miss a turn in the rotation. His next scheduled start is Tuesday against the Marlins, but his status will be determined by how his bullpen session goes tomorrow.

In addition to the hand injury Hamels is also dealing with … well, I’ll let David Murphy of the Philadelphia Daily News explain:

Mystery solved on Hamels’ chin bandage. He had an infected zit. Along with handwrap, he looks like Million Dollar Baby.

Just to be safe, let’s keep him away from stools for a while, huh?

1. skerney - Jul 1, 2011 at 2:49 PM

In this photo he looks like he is going to shake hands with Eddie Gaedel.

2. Phillies Homer - Jul 1, 2011 at 3:10 PM

I once had a zit that was pretty painful, where it would be if I had a moustache. Needless to say, it was not a finger squeezer so I took a pair of scissors to it. Not a good idea as a staph infection later had me infected as if someone lodged a quarter sized marble in my lip.

Point of the story is… hopefully Cole did not take a pair of scissors to that infected zit. I could see a DL stint b/c of it!!

3. Jonny 5 - Jul 1, 2011 at 3:56 PM

RALLY!

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 1, 2011 at 4:24 PM

Good win. Showed some fight out there. It is funny, every time they go out there and tell KK “What ever you do, don’t do so and so.” That is precisely what he does. I mean, I think I could have put that pitch into the seats. It matters not, though.

• bleedgreen - Jul 1, 2011 at 6:51 PM

I couldn’t believe that pitch. ‘Looks like Chooch and Utley walked in to tell him ‘whatever you do, don’t throw him a fastball in the zone’ and ‘Looks like he’s looking into the dug out and being told not to hang one in the zone’ and ‘Bautista is up there to knock one outta here on the first pith. don’t give him a fastball’

Oh, looks like he hung a fastball right in middle in. And he hit it right outta the park.
        Shame because other than that ONE pitch, he didn’t do a TERRIBLE job today.

• Chris Fiorentino - Jul 1, 2011 at 7:17 PM

Bleed….really? KK didn’t do a terrible job? I guess on the KK scale he didn’t do a terrible job. But for the average ML pitcher, he blew today.His typical fashion, he gets a big out for 2 outs, then he has ZERO concentration and gives up a two out two run hit. He drives you nuts. Then, as usual, he actually gets a 5-4 lead in the 7th and what does he do? Gives up a two run bomb on a batting practice pitch to the guy who is only tied for the lead in HRs in the bottom of the 7th.

KK sucks. Always has. Always will.

4. dirtyharry1971 - Jul 1, 2011 at 5:38 PM

He could use this as his chance to “hurry up and get the season over” which he has been known to wish for in the past. Personaly i hope he takes that path and calls it a year, what the heck oswalt could use the company

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 1, 2011 at 6:34 PM

Troll!!!!!

• dirtyharry1971 - Jul 1, 2011 at 9:24 PM

MONKEY!!

5. mercyflush - Jul 1, 2011 at 11:29 PM

dirtharry is obsessed with the Phillies. I’ve never seen someone so addicted to one team.

6. macjacmccoy - Jul 2, 2011 at 12:48 AM

as long as you dont see him with his shirt off he’ll be fine.

Giants, Royals took unique paths to WS