Jul 1, 2011, 1:47 PM EDT
He felt good enough to attend a softball game last night–and narrowly avoid getting hit with a foul ball while doing an on-camera interview–but the Cubs have placed him on the disabled list while activating Kerry Wood.
With the All-Star break coming up it makes sense that the Cubs would play it safe with the 30-year-old Zambrano, who leads the league in starts and ranks 10th in innings while posting a career-worst 4.34 ERA.
Wood has been out since early June with a blister on his right index finger, but tossed 24 innings with a 2.25 ERA and 21/10 K/BB ratio prior to landing on the shelf.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 15
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 14
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 86
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 54