Jul 1, 2011, 5:50 PM EDT
Despite an outstanding track record that includes a dominant season for the White Sox last year J.J. Putz was available to the Diamondbacks at a relative discount this offseason because of his injury history.
Putz provided a great early return on Arizona’s two-year, $10 million investment, converting all 16 save chances with a 1.45 ERA through the end of May, but he blew four saves in June as his ERA doubled and now he’s been placed on the disabled list with elbow tendinitis.
David Hernandez has pitched well in a setup role and certainly has closer-caliber raw stuff, with a mid-90s fastball and 41 strikeouts in 37 innings, so the Diamondbacks should feel fairly confident turning to him as a ninth inning fill-in. The rest of the bullpen hasn’t been nearly as strong, however, and moving everyone else up one rung on the relief hierarchy could lead to some issues.
If you take out Putz and Hernandez, the rest of the Diamondbacks’ bullpen has a 4.32 ERA.
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 0
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 91
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 124
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (126)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (98)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (98)