Jul 1, 2011, 8:25 AM EST
One of the questions I keep getting asked by radio hosts and others is how the Dodgers’ bankruptcy differs from that of the Rangers or the Cubs. My answer is that, unlike those bankruptcies, this is really an adversarial action more than a reorganizational kind of thing.
This is the sort of reason why: Frank McCourt intends to take the depositions of Selig and six other Major League Baseball executives in the next couple of weeks. The purpose: to establish that it was baseball’s intent to whack McCourt and seize the Dodgers all along.*
And hell, maybe it was. Guess they’ll have to ask Selig about it. What I can’t understand, however, is the direct significance this would have on the bankruptcy. By the filing itself, McCourt is admitting he can’t pay his bills. While it’s possible that he’ll convince someone that baseball was out to get him, in the end, the court is there to determine what is in the best interests of the Dodgers’ creditors, not who was more righteous in the leadup to last week’s filing.
Or am I missing something here?
*Pfun Pfact: McCourt’s lawyers misspelled Bud Selig’s real first name — Allan — three times on the depo notice. That’s some fine lawyerin’ there, Lou.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 68
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 158
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (159)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (135)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)