Jul 1, 2011, 1:20 PM EDT
Everyone knows that the Mets will be paying Bobby Bonilla deferred money until sometime in the middle of this century. But what most people don’t know is that those deferred payments actually begin today!
I was reminded of that by Ducky Medwick (not that Ducky Medwick) of the Deadballers website, who recalls the contract provision that everyone who wants to hate on the Mets reaches for even though there are way worse contracts given out by teams all the time, even if they’re not as unorthodox.
Anyway, if I’m Bobby Bo, I go to a bar in New York tonight and yell “drinks on the Mets!” and make about 100 new friends.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 39
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 10
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 30
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 33
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)