Jul 1, 2011, 1:20 PM EDT
Everyone knows that the Mets will be paying Bobby Bonilla deferred money until sometime in the middle of this century. But what most people don’t know is that those deferred payments actually begin today!
I was reminded of that by Ducky Medwick (not that Ducky Medwick) of the Deadballers website, who recalls the contract provision that everyone who wants to hate on the Mets reaches for even though there are way worse contracts given out by teams all the time, even if they’re not as unorthodox.
Anyway, if I’m Bobby Bo, I go to a bar in New York tonight and yell “drinks on the Mets!” and make about 100 new friends.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 333
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 72
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 45
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (335)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)