Happy Canada Day, Toronto Blue Jays

Jul 1, 2011, 4:40 PM EDT

canadian-flag

July 1st happens to be my wedding anniversary. Sixteenth if you care.  In honor of my anniversary, my wife is going to grill me a nice juicy steak this evening.

Really! Unlike your backwards little worlds, in Chez Calcaterra the woman is the master of the grill. Deduct all the man points from me that you want, but just know that while you chauvinists are sweating over a hot grill and demanding that you be in charge of the meat, I’m sitting in a lounge chair and enjoying a tasty beverage. And, truth be told, a much more tasty steak than I could ever grill myself.

July 1st is also notable, however, in that it is Canada Day.  I have too many windows open right now to Google it, but I’m pretty sure that Canada Day marks the anniversary of the time a heavily-armed contingent of Canadian freedom fighters drove the British Army into the Bay of Fundy, after which they executed Queen Victoria on the front steps of The Château Frontenac.  It’s a nation borne of violence, really, and it’s evident in everything those godless northern heathens do. I should know. My mother’s parents and her entire extended family is Canadian. They’re a people not to be trifled with.

In honor of Canada Day, the Jays played at home this afternoon, and they did it to a packed house, which was nice to see. They also did it in special uniforms in honour of the holiday:

I can’t say I like ‘em that much. But I don’t like my mother’s parents or her entire extended family all that much either, so maybe I’m just not meant to understand.

And the Jays lost 7-6 too. Oh, Canada indeed.

1. Phillies Homer - Jul 1, 2011 at 4:46 PM

“In honor of my anniversary, my wife is going to grill me a nice juicy steak this evening.”

It’s not her anniversary, too??

I think you lose man points b/c she’s grilling on “your” anniversary… or do you gain them in that case… because you don’t have to spend money on a fancy restaurant?? I’m getting myself mixed up… just enjoy the steak, dammit!!

2. duvisited - Jul 1, 2011 at 4:47 PM

I can’t believe you posted a picture of the Canadian flag flying upside down. That’s just rude.

• proudlycanadian - Jul 1, 2011 at 4:52 PM

eh? when?

3. proudlycanadian - Jul 1, 2011 at 4:51 PM

It was a great game for the Jay’s until our so called closer entered the game in the top of the 9th.

• FC - Jul 1, 2011 at 6:58 PM

Oh yeah I was little down at the stadium after the Bautista homerun for a while… until I saw Frank Francisco come in the 9th against our 2-3-4… I liked our chances then!

• proudlycanadian - Jul 1, 2011 at 7:24 PM

Kind of reminded you of The Wild Thing in reverse didn’t it?

• FC - Jul 1, 2011 at 7:33 PM

Yeah! Good one!

4. royalsfaninfargo - Jul 1, 2011 at 5:22 PM

Happy Canada day to my neighbors to the north. Youre only 120 some miles away, but it seems you are a totally different country…oh wait…:-)

• proudlycanadian - Jul 1, 2011 at 5:32 PM

We are different and proud of it.

• royalsfaninfargo - Jul 1, 2011 at 6:18 PM

I have had only good times in Canada, especially so many years ago when I turned 18 and partook of the drinking age in your country!

• proudlycanadian - Jul 1, 2011 at 7:33 PM

I am so old that I remember when the Ontario legal drinking age was 21. Didn’t let that stop me. I looked older than I was.

5. dirtyharry1971 - Jul 1, 2011 at 5:35 PM

Canada still has a baseball team?

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 1, 2011 at 5:39 PM

Oh, what do you know….dirtyharry trolling making stupid statements. I for one am shocked.

• proudlycanadian - Jul 1, 2011 at 5:57 PM

Once again, Harry didn’t change his “Depends”. Have some pitty on him. Well on second thought – Nah!

6. natstowngreg - Jul 1, 2011 at 5:41 PM

Happy Anniversary, and Happy Holiday to our Canadian friends. Especially to your wife’s family; please don’t loot and pillage this blog in retaliation, folks.

Nice touch using the Anglicized “honour.” But you made one fatal mistake: you did not post in both English and French.

Seems like you got your understanding of Canadian history from the same place certain politicians got their understanding of American history.

• pherrisphain - Jul 1, 2011 at 6:00 PM

Yeah, Georgie Bush was not too quick on the uptake.

• natstowngreg - Jul 2, 2011 at 12:35 AM

I wasn’t referring to Bush the Younger. Rather, some more current candidates.

7. foreverchipper10 - Jul 1, 2011 at 5:45 PM

Did every jersey have Canada on the back of them?

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 1, 2011 at 5:50 PM

8. Old Gator - Jul 1, 2011 at 5:53 PM

A good time to eat bannock, halibut and reindeer sausages and contemplate beaver. Have a happy up there.

• proudlycanadian - Jul 1, 2011 at 6:02 PM

It is a great day for our bush pilots. Prince William and his bride are is in Ottawa getting tips from the locals. A special day, 9 months from now? Perhaps! .

9. Robert - Jul 1, 2011 at 6:51 PM

Love and miss the Old Blue Jay jerseys!!

10. North American Bowl - Jul 1, 2011 at 6:55 PM

Joe Carter still Rules!!

11. FC - Jul 1, 2011 at 7:00 PM

BTW What’s up with the hate on Carlos Ruiz? What did he do to the Jays? They booed every single time he went to bat. Howard was booed once in the beginning of the game as well.

• Chris Fiorentino - Jul 1, 2011 at 7:01 PM

Those weren’t boos…they were chants of “Choooooooooooooch”

• proudlycanadian - Jul 1, 2011 at 7:28 PM

Must have been the US tourists. As far as Ruiz is concerned, we have no idea who he is.

• dirtyharry1971 - Jul 1, 2011 at 9:23 PM

proudly is like 30 years older than me sitting in some nursing home and he’s telling me to change my depends? hahahahahahha

• proudlycanadian - Jul 1, 2011 at 9:57 PM

I also recommend that you try using soap for a change. It might help with the dirt.

• FC - Jul 1, 2011 at 7:35 PM

No I am pretty sure it was boos, a fan behind me even yelled out: Strike out that Bum RIIICKYYYYY!

12. Chris Fiorentino - Jul 1, 2011 at 7:01 PM

I hope cur made it through the game today. He was actually there, which means he watched his team blow not one, not two, but THREE leads. Holy crap!!!!

In other news, Ryan Howard has 66 RBI, so he continues to be right behind Prince in that category even though you won’t find him on the WAR leaderboard. Because, you know, knocking in runs is pretty meaningless, especially when it is in the top of the 9th against the other team’s closer to give your team the lead. Yeah, who cares about RBIs…lol.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 1, 2011 at 8:16 PM

And leading the lead in go ahead RBI’s….I guess that isn’t taken into consideration either.

13. Jonny 5 - Jul 1, 2011 at 7:28 PM

Dude, congrats on another year. I’ll drink to that. First beer of the night to Mr. and Mrs. Calcaterra. Many more to come.

14. jimbo1949 - Jul 1, 2011 at 7:49 PM

I did not catch the name of the soldier who sang the anthems, what a nice job. A great, respectful, Star Spangled Banner and it sounded as if most of the stadium sang along on Oh Canada! Definitely not an over the top, “recording star” travesty.

15. 4d3fect - Jul 1, 2011 at 8:33 PM

Happy anniversary, Craig and …um… Mrs. Craig.

16. cur68 - Jul 1, 2011 at 11:26 PM

Hey, 16. Way to go. Happy Anniversary, you crazy kids.

The Beaver boys shoulda won this one in your honour but, alas il n’était pas destiné à être. Mon Dieu, but that Juan Rivera plays right field like un sac de marteaux. Le Salaud was lights out unlike our rapprocher who was unable to sceller l’affaire, alors…

Phillies D > Beaver Boys D.

Tomorrow is Big Roy. Can you see me waving my surrendering towel from here?

• FC - Jul 1, 2011 at 11:38 PM

“Juan Rivera plays right field like un sac de marteaux. ”

So THAT’s why he was confused. He thought he was in right field when he tried to catch that long fly ball in LEFT field! Makes perfect sense!

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet