Jul 1, 2011, 10:09 PM EDT
Atlanta’s Jair Jurrjens emphatically reclaimed the major league lead in ERA on Friday by throwing a one-hit shutout against the Orioles. It was his first career shutout and second complete game.
The performance lowered his ERA from 2.07 to 1.89. Jered Weaver had held the major league lead with a 1.97 ERA.
Jurrjens took a no-hitter into the seventh before Adam Jones singled to break it up. Jones was one of just two hitters to reach base for the Orioles in the game, as Jeremy Guthrie fell to 3-10 despite another solid effort in a 4-0 loss. He pitched seven innings and allowed three earned runs.
Jurrjens ended up with eight strikeouts, besting his previous season high by two. His career high for strikeouts is 10, achieved Sept. 11, 2008 against the Rockies.
The 25-year-old has won his last three starts, and he’s tied for the major league lead with 11 victories. He probably won’t be the choice to start for the NL in the All-Star Game — Roy Halladay is the likely selection there — but he’ll almost certainly be on the roster and he could be the second or third pitcher into the contest for the Senior Circuit.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 19
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 55
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 17
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)