Joe Posnanski’s 14 crazy baseball facts

Jul 1, 2011, 2:10 PM EDT

Tim Raines

If you haven’t noticed by now, not much is happening in baseball today. Oh, there will be 15 games played by the time the west coasters go to bed tonight, but the newsmakers — the agents, the GMs, the bankrupt owners and the the others who provide much of our midday fodder here at HBT — have begun their long weekend a bit early.  And judging by the site traffic today, so have a good chunk of readers.

So, as I attend to my iTunes library and watch a really funny but informative ten-part series on the history of the English language on YouTube, I also provide you some links to pass the time.  Such as this one from Joe Posnanski, setting forth 14 crazy baseball facts.

As is often the case with Posnanski’s writing,  it’s more about the journey than the destination, so don’t find yourself shocked when you skim the 14 specific items and say “well, that fact might be a tad unexpected, but it’s not ‘crazy.'”  It’s the telling of most of them — the sub-facts and the background — that make them interesting and, yes, in some cases crazy. Stuff like, if you constructed a team of the best players who never had 3,000 hits and pitted them against a team with players who had, the non-3,000 hitters would probably win.

So enjoy.  And really do go watch that history of the English language series. It’s quite good.

1. Chris Fiorentino - Jul 1, 2011 at 2:22 PM

Thus a good day for a HBT live blog ;) 2-2 top of the 4th…good game…international intrigue…KK vs RR. Must see TV. Too bad I’m watching mlb.com’s Gameday.

2. hittfamily - Jul 1, 2011 at 2:31 PM

My crazy baseball fact is that I’m tired of people saying “He has 15 RBI”. NO!!! He has 15 RBIs. If the president, secretary of state, 5 star generals, and political media of all stripes say “WMDs”, I am going to say WMD’s. It has never been “We believed Iraq had WMD”, and I have never heard anyone offer an opinion that it should be WMD.

You all who use RBI as both singular and plural undoubtedly say WMDs. Why? It cant be both. You have to say RBI/WMD or RBIs/WMDs.

• Chris Fiorentino - Jul 1, 2011 at 2:45 PM

#13 = how much of a travesty it is that Rock is not in the HoF.

#8, 12 = effect of steroids on offensive #s

#10 = common knowledge around the City of Brotherly Love

#7 – off topic a little, but has there EVER been a year as much defined by “contract year” as Jose Reyes’ 2011?

#5 – Yankees kill teams too much with their offense for Mo to lead the league in # of saves. I wonder how many years he has led in save %?

#2 – If Andre Dawson is in the Hall of Fame, tell me again why Harold Baines isn’t there too.

#1 – Ron Kittle = Mike Stanton maybe?

• yankeesfanlen - Jul 1, 2011 at 2:55 PM

#5- Mo has a save percentage of 91.5 or 89.28, depending on who you want to believe. Either way, we’ll take it (except a certain game 7 in ’01)

• Chris Fiorentino - Jul 1, 2011 at 3:03 PM

In my top 3 MLB moments of the last 12 years…right behind Lidge’s K in 2008, and Beckett’s CG SO in 2003. Yeah, I really hate the Yankees.

• ta192 - Jul 1, 2011 at 4:56 PM

I’m really hoping that Stanton turns out better…

• kopy - Jul 1, 2011 at 2:47 PM

It’s not as annoying as when people say “PIN number” when the N in PIN already stands for number.

• Kevin S. - Jul 1, 2011 at 4:02 PM

ATM Machine.

FedEx Express.

• clydeserra - Jul 1, 2011 at 2:49 PM

RsBI

• jjschiller - Jul 1, 2011 at 2:49 PM

Great point, man.

Glad to have that finally settled.

3. Brian Murphy - Jul 1, 2011 at 2:35 PM

Part five is my personal favorite.

Heh, heh. Penis.

4. shaggylocks - Jul 1, 2011 at 2:45 PM

#5 was, in fact, pretty crazy.

5. raysfan1 - Jul 1, 2011 at 3:53 PM

Re: Pos’ #14, I think he should have Craig Biggio as the 3K team’s catcher, since he did play that as his primary position for 4 seasons.

#13–absolute travesty that Raines is not in the HoF.

6. foreverchipper10 - Jul 1, 2011 at 3:58 PM

Keep links like this coming. I am bored with my silly putty.

7. nixonotis - Jul 1, 2011 at 4:09 PM

Joe Posananski is the best around.

• foreverchipper10 - Jul 1, 2011 at 4:14 PM

Nothing’s ever gonna keep him down.

8. spudchukar - Jul 1, 2011 at 4:56 PM

Great List, but here is one more that astounds me, in the history of this great game, going back as far as records are kept who has the 14th best OPS? Todd Helton that’s who, ahead of A-Rod, Ott, Cobb, Mays, Aaron, Speaker, F. Robinson, A. Simmons, Schmidt and Griffey. That is first ballot stuff.

• The Dangerous Mabry - Jul 1, 2011 at 5:47 PM

As much as I may like Todd Helton, the discussion of his career begins and ends with the fact that his home OPS is 200 points higher than his road OPS. On the road: Nice player. At home: monster. Park effects are a bitch.

9. royalsfaninfargo - Jul 1, 2011 at 5:36 PM

Agree or disagree with the Poz he is a great writer.

10. Jack Marshall - Jul 1, 2011 at 6:27 PM

Well of COURSE the non-3000 hit team wins…every time the 3000 hits team’s pitcher throws the ball, it rolls to the backstop.

11. granted42 - Jul 1, 2011 at 7:15 PM

Clitoris (1615) is still a source of confusion.

12. macjacmccoy - Jul 2, 2011 at 12:30 AM

-In excited black man voice- “That’s CRRRAAAzy”! everyone in the greater Philadelphia area knows what im talking about “I Wanna See Ya In A KIA”

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2995)