Jul 1, 2011, 5:27 PM EST
Josh Johnson has been out since mid-May with a shoulder injury that was supposed to take just a couple weeks, but he received some good news from Dr. James Andrews on Wednesday and is now hoping to return “at some point in August,” according to Joe Frisaro of MLB.com.
Andrews found no structural damage in Johnson’s shoulder, which means no surgery is needed, but even an early August return would mean sitting out nearly three months.
And that’s far from a sure thing, as Johnson has been shut down for the next 10-14 days, after which he’ll have to restart the rehab process. Or as Frisaro put it: “The period of inactivity isn’t set in stone. It could be longer. The Florida ace will throw when the discomfort has disappeared.”
He’s going to miss at least half the season with an injury that the Marlins are still describing as merely “an aggravated shoulder.” I was going to write that something “seems fishy” until I realized how hacky that sounds about a Marlins player. But … well, something seems fishy.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 68
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 158
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (158)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (133)