Jul 1, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
I need to sort some things out, but if all goes as planned, I’ll be back playing. I haven’t played much this year. Rest assured I’ll be back. People think Father Time has got me. But it wasn’t Father Time. It was not getting much of a chance to go out there and run around and play.
Cameron is right that he didn’t get much of a chance to play regularly, totaling just 105 plate appearances through the Red Sox’s first 80 games, but he also hit just .149 with a strikeout in 24 percent of his trips to the plate and was in a 3-for-39 (.077) slump when the move was made.
Cameron was better last season, hitting .259 with a .729 OPS that would make him a useful part-time player, but betting on a 38-year-old bouncing back is always unlikely and his defense is no longer a huge asset in center field. With that said, when the Red Sox are on the hook for his entire contract and signing him for the second half costs a new team just $175,000 or so it wouldn’t be a terrible flier to take.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (120)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)