Jul 1, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
I need to sort some things out, but if all goes as planned, I’ll be back playing. I haven’t played much this year. Rest assured I’ll be back. People think Father Time has got me. But it wasn’t Father Time. It was not getting much of a chance to go out there and run around and play.
Cameron is right that he didn’t get much of a chance to play regularly, totaling just 105 plate appearances through the Red Sox’s first 80 games, but he also hit just .149 with a strikeout in 24 percent of his trips to the plate and was in a 3-for-39 (.077) slump when the move was made.
Cameron was better last season, hitting .259 with a .729 OPS that would make him a useful part-time player, but betting on a 38-year-old bouncing back is always unlikely and his defense is no longer a huge asset in center field. With that said, when the Red Sox are on the hook for his entire contract and signing him for the second half costs a new team just $175,000 or so it wouldn’t be a terrible flier to take.
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 238
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 141
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 40
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (250)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (156)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)