Jul 1, 2011, 7:05 PM EDT
Mike Piazza will take the helm for the U.S. club and Luis Gonzalez will manage the World team in the 13th annual Futures Game to be played Sunday, July 10.
As usual, MLB has gone with ambassadors, rather than minor league managers, to serve as the managers for the Futures Game. The staffs for each team will be made up of minor league personnel, including former players Brett Butler, Sal Fasano, Steve Buchele and Brian Harper.
The Futures Game rosters were announced last week and can be found here. MLB did announce one change Friday, saying former No. 1 overall draft pick Tim Beckham (Rays) would take the spot of Chase d’Arnaud on the U.S. team. D’Arnaud was called up by the Pirates last week.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)