Jul 1, 2011, 7:05 PM EDT
Mike Piazza will take the helm for the U.S. club and Luis Gonzalez will manage the World team in the 13th annual Futures Game to be played Sunday, July 10.
As usual, MLB has gone with ambassadors, rather than minor league managers, to serve as the managers for the Futures Game. The staffs for each team will be made up of minor league personnel, including former players Brett Butler, Sal Fasano, Steve Buchele and Brian Harper.
The Futures Game rosters were announced last week and can be found here. MLB did announce one change Friday, saying former No. 1 overall draft pick Tim Beckham (Rays) would take the spot of Chase d’Arnaud on the U.S. team. D’Arnaud was called up by the Pirates last week.
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 0
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 81
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 75
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (81)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)