Jul 1, 2011, 4:15 PM EDT
Jim Riggleman resigned, John McLaren replaced him as interim manager for a weekend, Davey Johnson was hired as the full-time manager, and now the Nationals have fired first base coach Dan Radison.
It certainly makes sense that Johnson would want to put together his own coaching staff and doing so in the middle of a season can be problematic, but then again before taking over as manager Johnson was in the Nationals’ front office anyway.
Presumably he didn’t have a problem with Radison previously. Or perhaps it turns out Radison had a problem working for Johnson or at least not working for Riggleman, and didn’t realize it right away?
Whatever the case, Bill Ladson of MLB.com reports that Trent Jewitt will replace Radison as first base coach. Radison had held the job since November of 2009 and was a coach on Riggleman’s staffs with the Cubs and Padres as well. Jewitt was previously the Nationals’ Triple-A manager.
Riggleman stepped down with a 38-37 record, after which McLaren went 2-1 and Johnson has gone 0-3.
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 42
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 46
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 50
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 104
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (104)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results (81)