Jul 1, 2011, 4:15 PM EDT
Jim Riggleman resigned, John McLaren replaced him as interim manager for a weekend, Davey Johnson was hired as the full-time manager, and now the Nationals have fired first base coach Dan Radison.
It certainly makes sense that Johnson would want to put together his own coaching staff and doing so in the middle of a season can be problematic, but then again before taking over as manager Johnson was in the Nationals’ front office anyway.
Presumably he didn’t have a problem with Radison previously. Or perhaps it turns out Radison had a problem working for Johnson or at least not working for Riggleman, and didn’t realize it right away?
Whatever the case, Bill Ladson of MLB.com reports that Trent Jewitt will replace Radison as first base coach. Radison had held the job since November of 2009 and was a coach on Riggleman’s staffs with the Cubs and Padres as well. Jewitt was previously the Nationals’ Triple-A manager.
Riggleman stepped down with a 38-37 record, after which McLaren went 2-1 and Johnson has gone 0-3.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)