Jul 1, 2011, 4:15 PM EDT
Jim Riggleman resigned, John McLaren replaced him as interim manager for a weekend, Davey Johnson was hired as the full-time manager, and now the Nationals have fired first base coach Dan Radison.
It certainly makes sense that Johnson would want to put together his own coaching staff and doing so in the middle of a season can be problematic, but then again before taking over as manager Johnson was in the Nationals’ front office anyway.
Presumably he didn’t have a problem with Radison previously. Or perhaps it turns out Radison had a problem working for Johnson or at least not working for Riggleman, and didn’t realize it right away?
Whatever the case, Bill Ladson of MLB.com reports that Trent Jewitt will replace Radison as first base coach. Radison had held the job since November of 2009 and was a coach on Riggleman’s staffs with the Cubs and Padres as well. Jewitt was previously the Nationals’ Triple-A manager.
Riggleman stepped down with a 38-37 record, after which McLaren went 2-1 and Johnson has gone 0-3.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (104)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (95)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (89)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (82)