Jul 1, 2011, 4:15 PM EDT
Jim Riggleman resigned, John McLaren replaced him as interim manager for a weekend, Davey Johnson was hired as the full-time manager, and now the Nationals have fired first base coach Dan Radison.
It certainly makes sense that Johnson would want to put together his own coaching staff and doing so in the middle of a season can be problematic, but then again before taking over as manager Johnson was in the Nationals’ front office anyway.
Presumably he didn’t have a problem with Radison previously. Or perhaps it turns out Radison had a problem working for Johnson or at least not working for Riggleman, and didn’t realize it right away?
Whatever the case, Bill Ladson of MLB.com reports that Trent Jewitt will replace Radison as first base coach. Radison had held the job since November of 2009 and was a coach on Riggleman’s staffs with the Cubs and Padres as well. Jewitt was previously the Nationals’ Triple-A manager.
Riggleman stepped down with a 38-37 record, after which McLaren went 2-1 and Johnson has gone 0-3.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 0
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 8
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 22
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 34
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)