Quote of the Day: Jeff Francoeur has no time for the haters

Jul 1, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT

Kansas City Royals Photo Day Getty Images

“I’m on pace for 100 RBIs, 20 home runs and 40 doubles. I think I’ll take that. If the critics don’t like that, I don’t really care … I’ve always said if you play six months, you’re going to have one bad month …”

Jeff Francoeur, announcing that he intends to break established patterns and limit his bad months to one this season.

Yes, that was cheap. It’s just how I roll.  But my Francoeur fixation aside, I like that he doesn’t give a rat’s patootie what people like me say about him.  As I said back in spring training, it’s pretty impossible to have ire for the guy on a personal level. It’s really the people who try to pump him up as something he isn’t that get on my nerves.

And as crazy as it sounds coming from me, I want him to have a good second half. The “Jeff Francoeur: superstar!” stuff is annoying, but I’d like to see the “Jeff Francoeur: competent enough right fielder to hang around the league for many years on Reggie Sanders-style short-term, low money deals” dynamic take root.

1. Glenn - Jul 1, 2011 at 10:04 AM

I agree – may he play another 10 years. Just not on my team!

2. ThatGuy - Jul 1, 2011 at 10:06 AM

I think you need to pull some strings and have an interview with Frenchie. an HBT Daily special or something.

• b7p19 - Jul 1, 2011 at 10:55 AM

I am 100% for this. I just wonder if Craig would cower and throw him softballs, or bow up and send some heaters at him. We all know people have a tendency to melt when they make eye contact with Frenchie.

3. drmonkeyarmy - Jul 1, 2011 at 10:07 AM

Phillies should have signed him. He is better than Ben Francisco and Raul Ibanez. I’m not sure if they are on pace for 20 HR and 40 doubles combined.

• seanmk - Jul 1, 2011 at 11:05 AM

jeff francoeur .261/.308/.442
      ben francisco .220/.336/.351

ben’s had a bad two months but he’s still getting on base at a good rate. the last two month jeffy has hit .233 and .235.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 1, 2011 at 11:48 AM

So, are you agreeing or disagreeing with me?

• seanmk - Jul 1, 2011 at 12:17 PM

disagreeing mostly because francoeur blocks domonic brown. francisco has struggled but has actually been better in terms of getting on base then i thought he would. possibly partly because raul was so bad pitchers didn’t pitch him just to get to raul. Plus Ben can play as a 4th OF with no problem while frenchie would hissy fit over not getting everyday playing time

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 1, 2011 at 12:22 PM

Francisco is awful. Having virtually anybody as a 4th OF would be an upgrade. I know his OBP is reasonably high..particularly for somebody hitting .220, however, I don’t see that trend continuing. It is complete different then his career norm (walks per K wise and HBP’s).

• seanmk - Jul 1, 2011 at 12:34 PM

then that gives you flexiblity to replace him later in the season with an upgrade. a net win since with francoeur you can’t replace him.

4. cur68 - Jul 1, 2011 at 10:08 AM

If he makes his way to the Jays he’ll probably have 10 more homers/year if he keeps this hitting up. It looks to me like Kauffman is enormous as compared to Skydome. I hope he stays in KC on a long term deal. This way I can keep just enough of an eye on him without having to search the interwebs to see where he’s at lately. Good luck Frenchy.

• royalsfaninfargo - Jul 1, 2011 at 5:30 PM

No long term deals for him in KC. If he continues to do a decent job at the plate they should keep signing him to one year deals. I think that is why he is having a halfway decent year. That and he has absolutely no pressure in KC.

5. yankeesfanlen - Jul 1, 2011 at 10:08 AM

We’re kicking the pre-Holiday posts up a notch here at HBT with a Frenchie post-. Everyone will be on a roll by noon then disappear!

Speaking of on a roll- Time for a Hot Dog vs. Hamburger debate. Only the Chicago contingent (El Bravo et. al.) can vote hot dog without provoking my ire.

• cur68 - Jul 1, 2011 at 10:11 AM

burger with the lot;

• Paul Zummo - Jul 1, 2011 at 10:19 AM

Why do we have to choose? Burger and a dog – and I’m sure by now somebody has invented the burgerdog. If not, maybe I’ll have to do it. Mmmmm, burgerdog.

• bigxrob - Jul 1, 2011 at 10:35 AM

I love me a good hot dog.

• ditto65 - Jul 1, 2011 at 10:54 AM

Mmmmmmm, burger. Mmmmmmmm, dog. I’ll take both!

• The Rabbit - Jul 1, 2011 at 11:44 AM

Burgers and the Chicago all beef dog are great;however, I’m cooking burgers and Italian sausage. Split the sausage, cook over charcoal (don’t fire up the gas grill for this, Len), and serve with sauteed onions and peppers on a crusty baguette….not those soft, tasteless packaged rolls.

• Old Gator - Jul 1, 2011 at 3:29 PM

I’ve got a bunch of chicken breast and lean pork loin chunks marinating for speidies, as well as Italian turkey sausages (fully agree on the splitting and charcoal grilling), a bunch of cornish hens in a papaya nectar based marinade, some New York strips, fresh picked super sweet corn on the cob (wrap in foil and cook on the grill – steaming or boiling kills it), cabbage palm cole slaw, acorn squash injected with Captain Morgan and destined to be baked with a lot of butter and cinnamon, super sweet small yams, and Bush’s Grillin’ Beans – yeah, they’re that good, even though the talking dog reminds me that election season is upon us already.

• yankeesfanlen - Jul 1, 2011 at 4:16 PM

Rabbit and Gator- Got those good ol country ribs marinating for tomorrow, do some beer-infested brats on wheat rolls for tonight, some kind of huge oven stuffer for Sunday and hand pressed double-egg burgers with spices for the Holiday. Those Bush’s grilling beans are a breakthrough of 21st century technology, and no maple to turn them into a dunkin’ donut. Plus, their spokesdog reminds me of my late, great Daisy.
        Bon Apetite!

• catsmeat - Jul 1, 2011 at 12:29 PM

Half-smoke from Ben’s Chili Bowl FTW.

6. FC - Jul 1, 2011 at 10:10 AM

Well they already have 15 HR and 21 2B. So they are on pace to match that….barely… so sad…

• FC - Jul 1, 2011 at 10:11 AM

That comment was in reply of @DrMonkeyArmy, just didn’t realize it was commenting instead of replying.

7. rynev - Jul 1, 2011 at 10:17 AM

Is Francoeur going to get mad if I point out he is only on pace for 36 doubles and 94 RBI? Just sayin…

8. Paul Zummo - Jul 1, 2011 at 10:20 AM

I was going to point out to Frenchie that he only has a .308 on-base percentage, but since they don’t put that number on scoreboards he’s probably not aware of it.

9. Chris Fiorentino - Jul 1, 2011 at 10:29 AM

I love how Frenchie throws this line…

“If the critics don’t like that, I don’t really care”

into a quote where is addressing the critics…yes, the same ones who he doesn’t care about. He may be a nice guy and all, but he sure is a dolt.

10. thefalcon123 - Jul 1, 2011 at 10:30 AM

Ummmm….

Jeff Francour by month:
    April: .314/.357/.569
    May: .233/.287/.388
    June: .235/.280/.367

So, if he’s only had one bad month this season, was May or June the bad one? Cause they both looking pretty terrible to me.

11. deathmonkey41 - Jul 1, 2011 at 12:02 PM

I’m surprised he didn’t end the quote with “so all those ex-lawyer bloggers can go screw themselves.”

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (5006)