Jul 1, 2011, 10:33 PM EDT
The Yankees jumped out on top 3-0 in the first and held on from there to beat the Mets 5-1 in front of a record Citi Field crowd of 42,020 on Friday night.
The Bombers got their first two runs off lefty Jon Niese before an out was recorded, as Nick Swisher and Curtis Granderson singled to start the game and Mark Teixeira doubled them in. Teixeira later came around to score on a Robinson Cano double.
The Mets replied with one run in the bottom of the second, but that was the end of the scoring while the starting pitchers were in. Ivan Nova allowed one run over five innings, and Niese gave up three runs in six innings.
After the bullpens took over, the Mets tried to rally. Jose Reyes reached on an infield single to start the seventh and tagged up to go to second on Justin Turner‘s fly to center. When the throw eluded Eduardo Nunez, he took off for third, and it looked like he got in under Alex Rodriguez‘s tag. However, Jerry Layne called him out, leading to an argument with Reyes and the ejection of Mets manager Terry Collins.
The Yankees added to their lead from there. Eduardo Nunez, polishing off a 4-for-4 game, singled in Russell Martin in the eighth, and Rodriguez doubled in Granderson in the ninth.
The victory was the Yankees’ season-high sixth in a row. They improved to 3-1 versus the Mets this season.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 75
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 77
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 102
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (103)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (102)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)
- Jonathan Papelbon blows save, gets ejected for making rude gesture at booing crowd (77)