Jul 1, 2011, 10:33 PM EDT
The Yankees jumped out on top 3-0 in the first and held on from there to beat the Mets 5-1 in front of a record Citi Field crowd of 42,020 on Friday night.
The Bombers got their first two runs off lefty Jon Niese before an out was recorded, as Nick Swisher and Curtis Granderson singled to start the game and Mark Teixeira doubled them in. Teixeira later came around to score on a Robinson Cano double.
The Mets replied with one run in the bottom of the second, but that was the end of the scoring while the starting pitchers were in. Ivan Nova allowed one run over five innings, and Niese gave up three runs in six innings.
After the bullpens took over, the Mets tried to rally. Jose Reyes reached on an infield single to start the seventh and tagged up to go to second on Justin Turner‘s fly to center. When the throw eluded Eduardo Nunez, he took off for third, and it looked like he got in under Alex Rodriguez‘s tag. However, Jerry Layne called him out, leading to an argument with Reyes and the ejection of Mets manager Terry Collins.
The Yankees added to their lead from there. Eduardo Nunez, polishing off a 4-for-4 game, singled in Russell Martin in the eighth, and Rodriguez doubled in Granderson in the ninth.
The victory was the Yankees’ season-high sixth in a row. They improved to 3-1 versus the Mets this season.
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 5
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 16
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 33
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)