Jul 1, 2011, 10:33 PM EST
The Yankees jumped out on top 3-0 in the first and held on from there to beat the Mets 5-1 in front of a record Citi Field crowd of 42,020 on Friday night.
The Bombers got their first two runs off lefty Jon Niese before an out was recorded, as Nick Swisher and Curtis Granderson singled to start the game and Mark Teixeira doubled them in. Teixeira later came around to score on a Robinson Cano double.
The Mets replied with one run in the bottom of the second, but that was the end of the scoring while the starting pitchers were in. Ivan Nova allowed one run over five innings, and Niese gave up three runs in six innings.
After the bullpens took over, the Mets tried to rally. Jose Reyes reached on an infield single to start the seventh and tagged up to go to second on Justin Turner‘s fly to center. When the throw eluded Eduardo Nunez, he took off for third, and it looked like he got in under Alex Rodriguez‘s tag. However, Jerry Layne called him out, leading to an argument with Reyes and the ejection of Mets manager Terry Collins.
The Yankees added to their lead from there. Eduardo Nunez, polishing off a 4-for-4 game, singled in Russell Martin in the eighth, and Rodriguez doubled in Granderson in the ninth.
The victory was the Yankees’ season-high sixth in a row. They improved to 3-1 versus the Mets this season.
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 4
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 50
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 49
- Curtis Granderson: “A lot of people have told me real New Yorkers are Mets fans” 52
- The Phillies have told teams they’d trade Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels 53
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)