Jul 1, 2011, 10:33 PM EDT
The Yankees jumped out on top 3-0 in the first and held on from there to beat the Mets 5-1 in front of a record Citi Field crowd of 42,020 on Friday night.
The Bombers got their first two runs off lefty Jon Niese before an out was recorded, as Nick Swisher and Curtis Granderson singled to start the game and Mark Teixeira doubled them in. Teixeira later came around to score on a Robinson Cano double.
The Mets replied with one run in the bottom of the second, but that was the end of the scoring while the starting pitchers were in. Ivan Nova allowed one run over five innings, and Niese gave up three runs in six innings.
After the bullpens took over, the Mets tried to rally. Jose Reyes reached on an infield single to start the seventh and tagged up to go to second on Justin Turner‘s fly to center. When the throw eluded Eduardo Nunez, he took off for third, and it looked like he got in under Alex Rodriguez‘s tag. However, Jerry Layne called him out, leading to an argument with Reyes and the ejection of Mets manager Terry Collins.
The Yankees added to their lead from there. Eduardo Nunez, polishing off a 4-for-4 game, singled in Russell Martin in the eighth, and Rodriguez doubled in Granderson in the ninth.
The victory was the Yankees’ season-high sixth in a row. They improved to 3-1 versus the Mets this season.
- Carlos Gomez diagnosed with sprained wrist 3
- Michael Wacha to start Thursday for the Cardinals 4
- We’re not going to pretend that Bo Porter had no idea what he was getting into, are we? 51
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 50
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 37
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 61
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 56
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 48
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (221)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (76)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)