Jul 1, 2011, 10:33 PM EDT
The Yankees jumped out on top 3-0 in the first and held on from there to beat the Mets 5-1 in front of a record Citi Field crowd of 42,020 on Friday night.
The Bombers got their first two runs off lefty Jon Niese before an out was recorded, as Nick Swisher and Curtis Granderson singled to start the game and Mark Teixeira doubled them in. Teixeira later came around to score on a Robinson Cano double.
The Mets replied with one run in the bottom of the second, but that was the end of the scoring while the starting pitchers were in. Ivan Nova allowed one run over five innings, and Niese gave up three runs in six innings.
After the bullpens took over, the Mets tried to rally. Jose Reyes reached on an infield single to start the seventh and tagged up to go to second on Justin Turner‘s fly to center. When the throw eluded Eduardo Nunez, he took off for third, and it looked like he got in under Alex Rodriguez‘s tag. However, Jerry Layne called him out, leading to an argument with Reyes and the ejection of Mets manager Terry Collins.
The Yankees added to their lead from there. Eduardo Nunez, polishing off a 4-for-4 game, singled in Russell Martin in the eighth, and Rodriguez doubled in Granderson in the ninth.
The victory was the Yankees’ season-high sixth in a row. They improved to 3-1 versus the Mets this season.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)