The Angels are sued for racial discrimination

Jul 1, 2011, 10:30 AM EDT

Angels logo

Legal proceedings involving the Los Angeles baseball teams are the new black. Oh wait, that phrase may be misinterpreted and I may be dragged into this all now!

A radio host formerly employed by the Los Angeles Angels has filed a lawsuit claiming he was dismissed for racial reasons.

In a complaint filed in California Superior Court earlier this month, David Smith alleged that the Angels Baseball Foundation rigged a singles promotion to ensure a black woman did not win and that Angels employees regularly made racist remarks. Smith claimed that the Angels did not allow another employee on a radio show because he sounded “too black” and “too ghetto” for an Orange County audience. His complaint also stated that co-workers said negative results were to be “expected when a Jew is hired as baseball’s commissioner.”

There’s obviously no way for us to know if there is any merit here. And of course, the Angels deny all of this.

I would like to see the case proceed for a purely intellectual reason, however: I’m really curious as to what constitutes “too black” and “too ghetto” for Orange County.

1. yankeesgameday - Jul 1, 2011 at 10:37 AM

Newt Gingrich is too black for Orange County.

• Brian Murphy - Jul 1, 2011 at 11:10 AM

I used to live in Orange County for a couple of years, and using the word “ghetto” is too ghetto for Orange County. From La Habra to San Clemente, it’s not a black county.

That sounds awful.

2. yankeesgameday - Jul 1, 2011 at 10:38 AM

And Jesus was too Jewish.

3. uyf1950 - Jul 1, 2011 at 10:53 AM

I guess just firing someone because they were just plain incompetent is passe.

4. uyf1950 - Jul 1, 2011 at 10:54 AM

I guess just firing someone because they were incompetent is passe these days.

• uyf1950 - Jul 1, 2011 at 10:55 AM

Sorry about the double post. I didn’t see the first one come up.

• jimbo1949 - Jul 1, 2011 at 11:35 AM

I’ve been having problems with posts not showing up on time lately, if I hit refresh/reload once or twice it’ll pop up.

5. whitneymuse - Jul 1, 2011 at 10:54 AM

Have to admit; growing up there Orange County has that in its cultural history; it’s not hard to believe that the roots are deep. It’s 2011, now, and if it’s still there from when I got there, 1955, it’s time to change. Sunny Hills had 5 people of “color” and none were black in that high School.

• aaronmoreno - Jul 1, 2011 at 11:09 AM

When’s the last time you lived there?

6. aaronmoreno - Jul 1, 2011 at 11:09 AM

Bud Selig is Jewish?

7. pauleee - Jul 1, 2011 at 11:40 AM

Born, raised and still live here. Orange County definitely has an interesting reputation. Most people look at us in terms of how the media protrays it. The Real Housewifes of Orange County were all from Coto de Caza, an upper-class gated community nestled up against the mountains. Nothing terribly “real” there. MTV used to have a show featuring silver-spooned spoiled brats living their tragic little lives in the hills above Laguna Beach. South county is overwhelmingly white and well-to-do and where the term “Most Conservative County in CA” comes from.

Then there’s the rest of the county which is, shall we say, more culturally diverse. Santa Ana has a large hispanic population, there’s a large Vietnamese community in Garden Grove / Westminister. The middle class folk, that don’t get much play except when there’s an uproar about illegal immigration. So “too black for an Orange County audience” would depend on which audience they wish to pander to.

Finally, went to a game at the end of last year, vs the A’s. Small crowd so we moved down to field level. A little later two A’s fans came down and sat near us. They were fully decked in A’s colors and they (channeling George Carlin here) “happened” to be black. They were rooting for their team like I was rooting for mine and in conversation with them, they were clearly real fans, really knowledgeable about their team and in baseball in general. Knowledge that would put most Halo “fans” to shame. Well, somebody some rows back didn’t like them enjoying the game and yelled quite loudly “F’in N******!

I know there’s always going to be idiot racists somewhere, but I know I was a more than a little shocked by it. I thought, wow here at a basdeball game in 2010. I guess I’m still a little naive at times.

• yankeesgameday - Jul 1, 2011 at 11:48 AM

You aren’t naive, you’re just in the OC. (i am a Huntington Beach resident myself). These are the reasons we are “behind the Orange curtain” here. most of the white folks here would feel more comfortable in Alabama circa 1965.

• pauleee - Jul 1, 2011 at 12:12 PM

Hey neighbor (kinda – Tustin)! Hopefully not “most”, but there is an element here. Most of the ire these days in directed toward hispanics. Ironically, the most vocal probably live in a town and a street that you need to spead Espanol to pronounce correctly.

• aaronmoreno - Jul 1, 2011 at 12:11 PM

I think you can break up Orange County into a few areas. The wealthier South County, the upscale beach cities and the interior of the North County. All different places, with different stuff going on.

Of course, I’ve been a Angels games, and I’ll definitely agree that generally Angels fans don’t have the most intimate knowledge of their team, the fans in the cheap seats are like any others. Never heard racist stuff though. Honestly, Red Sox fans drown out Angels fans when they play.

• pauleee - Jul 1, 2011 at 12:16 PM

Yeah, Yankees fans do the same thing. At least Red Sox fans are wearing red so it doesn’t look so bad on tv.

• SmackSaw - Jul 1, 2011 at 1:16 PM

I love going to Angel games when the Red Sox or Yankees are in town. I can talk a lot of good natured smack and get some back. I’m from San Juan Capistrano.

8. Old Gator - Jul 1, 2011 at 1:14 PM

I wonder if anyone is really orange enough. I guess you need to catch them in a very early stage of either jaundice or artificial tanning.

9. chadh88 - Jul 1, 2011 at 2:50 PM

But it wasn’t an issue until they got fired. Hmm…

10. madocyankfan - Jul 2, 2011 at 12:54 AM

I live in OC. Sometimes I’ll go months without seeing an African American. I have to go to L.A. To see some racial diversity.

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey