Jul 1, 2011, 10:30 AM EDT
Legal proceedings involving the Los Angeles baseball teams are the new black. Oh wait, that phrase may be misinterpreted and I may be dragged into this all now!
A radio host formerly employed by the Los Angeles Angels has filed a lawsuit claiming he was dismissed for racial reasons.
In a complaint filed in California Superior Court earlier this month, David Smith alleged that the Angels Baseball Foundation rigged a singles promotion to ensure a black woman did not win and that Angels employees regularly made racist remarks. Smith claimed that the Angels did not allow another employee on a radio show because he sounded “too black” and “too ghetto” for an Orange County audience. His complaint also stated that co-workers said negative results were to be “expected when a Jew is hired as baseball’s commissioner.”
There’s obviously no way for us to know if there is any merit here. And of course, the Angels deny all of this.
I would like to see the case proceed for a purely intellectual reason, however: I’m really curious as to what constitutes “too black” and “too ghetto” for Orange County.
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 0
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 2
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 56
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 12
- Don Mattingly may be uttering his last words as Dodgers manager 49
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (110)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (70)
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- LIVE: Heat host Pacers in Game 1 of East finals
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games