The New York Times sells a chunk of the Boston Red Sox

Jul 1, 2011, 5:10 PM EDT

New York Times building

The New York Times has held a minority share in the Boston Red Sox — well, technically its parent company, Fenway Sports Group — for several years.  When I first learned this I tried hard to see if their coverage of the Red Sox was at all biased, but I could never find any evidence of it.  The sports writing was straight up.  The non-sports stuff was all about how fundamental problems facing American society were affecting upwardly mobile Manhattanites, so that was unchanged too.

Anyway, the Times is cashing in on some of the Sox stock. Today it was announced that it has sold 390 units of Fenway Sports Group stock, which represented more than half of its holdings in the company, for $117 million. They will continue to own 7.3% of FSG.

No word on what they’re going to invest their profits in.  Might be wise to invest in a better means of protecting people from navigating around their pay wall.  I’ve had a harder time making it from my living room to the john than I have getting their premium content for free.  No matter the case, the Times will no doubt be ON IT.

1. royalsfaninfargo - Jul 1, 2011 at 5:41 PM

The NYT had a stake in the Sawx? Didnt know that, isnt that some sort of east coast bias dream come true? ;-)

2. yankeesfanlen - Jul 1, 2011 at 5:43 PM

Cripes, they practically e-mail you 6 times a day and beg you to back in. There’s an other way that’s just as easy, but I’ll mkeep that to myself in case they’re bugging.

Truth be told, they’re the most Yankee-centric rag in town.

3. steve959 - Jul 1, 2011 at 7:08 PM

One word. Firebug!!

Theyre paywall is a joke!

4. jwbiii - Jul 1, 2011 at 10:00 PM

Does the NYT still own a piece of the Yankees? If so, isn’t this a violation of league rules?

• yankeesfanlen - Jul 1, 2011 at 11:17 PM

No, George bought out ALL the partners years ago. Now it’s all Hal and Hank. NYT might have a small part of YES left over, can’t find out.

5. North American Bowl - Jul 1, 2011 at 10:59 PM

Master and Slave!!

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3502)