Jul 1, 2011, 2:30 PM EST
I couldn’t help but think that was an awfully long time to go without a two-homer game. But as it turns out, it wasn’t even the current longest active streak in baseball.
The Padres have gone 44 straight games without hitting two homers. Now, that is a very long time. It’s the longest such streak by a major league team since 1992.
In fact, five teams had 40-game streaks in 1992, the last year before offense began to take off in the mid-90s:
1. Dodgers – Aug. 23, 1992-April 16, 1993 – 50 games
2. Cardinals – May 17, 1992-July 9, 1992 – 48 games
3. Brewers – July 18, 1992-Sept. 4, 1992 – 46 games
4. Dodgers – May 31, 1992-July 17, 1992 – 46 games
5. Mets – June 22, 1992-Aug. 8, 1992 – 41 games
Since then, the longest streak any team had was the Marlins, going 39 straight games in 1998. The longest streak over the last decade was 36 games, held by the 2008 Twins.
If the Padres are going to break the streak before it gets to 50 games, they’ll have to do it against the Mariners or Giants, two of the best pitching staffs in baseball.
The Padres, for what it’s worth, have hit 20 homers in 44 games during the streak. They have 45 homers in 82 games for the season. Ryan Ludwick has hit 10 of them, while no one else has more than five.
Regardless, it’s a safe bet they won’t be challenging any major league records. The 1979 Astros went 125 games without hitting multiple homers, and many teams had longer streaks prior to World War II.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)