Jul 1, 2011, 2:30 PM EDT
I couldn’t help but think that was an awfully long time to go without a two-homer game. But as it turns out, it wasn’t even the current longest active streak in baseball.
The Padres have gone 44 straight games without hitting two homers. Now, that is a very long time. It’s the longest such streak by a major league team since 1992.
In fact, five teams had 40-game streaks in 1992, the last year before offense began to take off in the mid-90s:
1. Dodgers – Aug. 23, 1992-April 16, 1993 – 50 games
2. Cardinals – May 17, 1992-July 9, 1992 – 48 games
3. Brewers – July 18, 1992-Sept. 4, 1992 – 46 games
4. Dodgers – May 31, 1992-July 17, 1992 – 46 games
5. Mets – June 22, 1992-Aug. 8, 1992 – 41 games
Since then, the longest streak any team had was the Marlins, going 39 straight games in 1998. The longest streak over the last decade was 36 games, held by the 2008 Twins.
If the Padres are going to break the streak before it gets to 50 games, they’ll have to do it against the Mariners or Giants, two of the best pitching staffs in baseball.
The Padres, for what it’s worth, have hit 20 homers in 44 games during the streak. They have 45 homers in 82 games for the season. Ryan Ludwick has hit 10 of them, while no one else has more than five.
Regardless, it’s a safe bet they won’t be challenging any major league records. The 1979 Astros went 125 games without hitting multiple homers, and many teams had longer streaks prior to World War II.
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 46
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 45
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 20
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 82
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 80
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (237)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (199)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)