You can’t say “Buck Foston” in New Brunswick, New Jersey

Jul 1, 2011, 9:40 AM EDT

Varitek Arod

Well, you can say it. You just can’t name your New York-centric sports bar that apparently:

A New Brunswick businessman has filed suit in federal court, charging New Brunswick Mayor James Cahill is holding up approval of his liquor license for a new high end sports bar because he doesn’t like the bar’s proposed name — Buck Foston’s.

I have no problem with the bar’s name, but if that’s what passes for “high end” in New Jersey, I’d hate to hear the names of the more blue collar drinking establishments.

For what it’s worth, the Mayor says the name has nothin’ to do with it. Rather, it’s all about a tax problem. Which is probably more common in the New Jersey bar business than random strange non-obscenity obscenity is.

1. Jonny 5 - Jul 1, 2011 at 9:54 AM

The “New Jersey” north of Burlington/ Ocean County is not the same as it is down here. Sorry Len, but you guys are just different up there. It’s like NY city infected you all with some kind of virus or something that makes you kind of like “them”……… eeek!

• isaidallo - Jul 1, 2011 at 9:59 AM

New Brunswick has some pretty nice places, Stage Left, Catherine Lombardi’s, Panico’s and several others…..this place sounds more like a wanna be Rutgers undergrad hangout….too bad there are already 50 other places for them to get plastered at.

• yankeesfanlen - Jul 1, 2011 at 10:00 AM

Oh, that’s right. New Brunswick is part of the Amish Country
      Anything below Newark is South Jersey to me.
      Happy Birthday and enjoy your [ugh] pie.

• Jonny 5 - Jul 1, 2011 at 10:31 AM

It was exquisite…. And thanks.

• deathmonkey41 - Jul 1, 2011 at 10:53 AM

Ha ha- I’m originally from Bergen County, so anything below Newark is central and then after Trenton, it becomes South Jersey, which is a completely different country.

• isaidallo - Jul 1, 2011 at 10:00 AM

whoops, didn’t mean to reply, sorry about that….but in reply, central Jersey is very different than the NY city infested north Jersey as well….

• cur68 - Jul 1, 2011 at 10:13 AM

New Brunswick, gentlemen, is in Canada, not New York and I don’t care what your maps say. There can only be ONE….

• Jonny 5 - Jul 1, 2011 at 11:09 AM

Aye, But the New Brunswick in NJ was established before yours was. So you guys are just a bunch of big copy cats and stuff.

• The Rabbit - Jul 1, 2011 at 11:50 AM

As a native South Jerseyite (formerO who has spent time in both the Canadian and New Jersey New Brunswicks, I can say without a doubt the Canadian version is far superior.
        The NJ location always felt more like doing time than spending time.

• Jonny 5 - Jul 1, 2011 at 11:55 AM

LOL!!! Shhhhh Rabbit, that was TMI, TMI…

2. yankeesfanlen - Jul 1, 2011 at 9:57 AM

I take it you know what a “tax problem” in New Jersey is. It’s the lack of a Mercedes in the mayor’s driveway. “Zoning problem” can be remedied by Cadillacs.
    I have the rate list on Excel.
    BTW, state problems merely need 7 or 8 cheeseburgers.

3. Glenn - Jul 1, 2011 at 10:07 AM

Stay classy, New Jersey.

4. deathmonkey41 - Jul 1, 2011 at 10:58 AM

He should offer a Big Papi special- four cheeseburgers and a big glass of juice.

• jimbo1949 - Jul 1, 2011 at 11:23 AM

No juice, that’s a Dominican Shake.

• marshmallowsnake - Jul 1, 2011 at 12:12 PM

Now…juice in quotes would have been funny!

5. Jonny 5 - Jul 1, 2011 at 11:42 AM

NJ,
    First baseball game.
    First college football game.
    First Brewery.
    First solid body Guitar. invented (by Les Paul)
    Telephone was invented here.
    The list is almost endless of just how awesome this state is. It’s here btw…

6. stackers1 - Jul 1, 2011 at 12:22 PM

I’m from Northern NJ & always thought South Jersey was like another state. It should be part of PA. And since I’m from Hudson County, people always tell me I “Tawk like a New Yawka”. I guess I do too.

• deathmonkey41 - Jul 1, 2011 at 12:52 PM

I was originally from North Bergen and moved to Ridgefield before moving to the Philly area in PA. I’ve always been told I don’t really have an accent- except when I say chocolate (chaulk-lit) and coffee (caw-fee)

7. stackers1 - Jul 1, 2011 at 12:24 PM

And by the way, Buck Foston!

8. frankvzappa - Jul 1, 2011 at 12:28 PM

I just had the misfortune of moving to northern Jersey, and it has me quite nonplussed about the countless Yankee fans I have to deal with. I’m afraid to wear my B hat to the bar because I don’t want anyone to spit in my food. Thank god the Sox were playing the Phillies this week so I could ask to watch the Phils game without anyone getting too suspicious. Almost blew my cover when Lackey gave up that homer to Ibanez though. I need to find a Mets hat.

All I know is that the cable schmuck better show up soon because I can’t take much more of this. Although to be fair, there are some damn fine bagels and delis around these parts.

• Jonny 5 - Jul 1, 2011 at 12:43 PM

“Almost blew my cover when Lackey gave up that homer to Ibanez though.”
      Almost “mother effered” that one huh? I was scratching my head thinking to myself right before that bomb “why would Lackey even try to throw strikes to this guy, who has basically established over a long period of time that he will own him every game he faces him. There were 2 outs at the time I think too.

9. kountryking - Jul 1, 2011 at 9:45 PM

Born in New Brunswick and raised in Piscataway. Proud to be from Central Jersey and a graduate of New Brunswick High School and Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey. New Brunswick certainly isn’t the same city I grew up around. It’s got more class and style. Buck Foston is OK with me. Just don’t mess with the METS!

10. macjacmccoy - Jul 2, 2011 at 3:57 AM

Landmark, Franklin House, The Spot, Top Dog, Nippers, The Tower, Cooks, Sharkys, Southwood, Clancys, PJ Whelihans, The Irish Mile, Rocking Stone, Schileens, Main Street, Skeeters, and Capn Cats (Best Seafood around) to name a few.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3613)