Jul 2, 2011, 9:58 PM EST
It might be time to write off Brandon Webb for the rest of the 2011 season. And probably much longer:
Asked if he thought he would pitch for the Rangers this season, Webb said, “Who knows? I have no idea.”
That quote comes courtesy of Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, who chatted with the frustrated former National League Cy Young Award winner on Saturday evening.
Webb is scheduled to pay a visit to Dr. Keith Meister this weekend to have his troublesome right shoulder examined. He has already been scratched from his next rehab start and won’t be stepping back atop a minor league mound anytime soon.
The Rangers signed Webb to a one-year, $3 million contract in the offseason. They’ve tried everything to get him corrected and get him healthy, but so far nothing has worked. And that seems unlikely to change.
- Mets sign 40-year-old Bartolo Colon for two years, $20 million 16
- MLB rules committee decides to eliminate collisions at home plate 20
- Mariners sign Corey Hart to incentive-laden deal 27
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 33
- Media paying for athlete interviews? Not likely. But watch this stuff closely anyway. 20
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)