Jul 2, 2011, 9:58 PM EDT
It might be time to write off Brandon Webb for the rest of the 2011 season. And probably much longer:
Asked if he thought he would pitch for the Rangers this season, Webb said, “Who knows? I have no idea.”
That quote comes courtesy of Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, who chatted with the frustrated former National League Cy Young Award winner on Saturday evening.
Webb is scheduled to pay a visit to Dr. Keith Meister this weekend to have his troublesome right shoulder examined. He has already been scratched from his next rehab start and won’t be stepping back atop a minor league mound anytime soon.
The Rangers signed Webb to a one-year, $3 million contract in the offseason. They’ve tried everything to get him corrected and get him healthy, but so far nothing has worked. And that seems unlikely to change.
- Report: Cubs calling up prospect infielder Addison Russell 0
- Jonathan Lucroy headed to disabled list with broken toe 5
- Reds manager Bryan Price goes on profanity-laden tirade against media 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 75
- Report: Marlins manager Mike Redmond is on the hot seat 40
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 88
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 14
- Another one bites the dust: Mets lose young catcher Travis d’Arnaud to fractured right hand 14
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (129)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (109)