Jul 2, 2011, 10:05 AM EDT
The headline pretty much says it all.
After blowing his second save in as many days last night against the Tigers, Brian Wilson took his frustrations to a water cooler in the dugout. The bearded closer was pulled with one out and the bases loaded in the bottom of the ninth. Jeremy Affeldt was able to get Brennan Boesch to line into a double play to end the game and give the Giants a wild 4-3 victory.
When asked if he would have a difficult time watching his blowup replayed on television, Wilson told the San Francisco Chronicle: “Why should it be difficult? I squared it up.”
While last night’s incident certainly jibes with Wilson’s quirky and intense persona, I wonder what we would be saying if he hurt his pitching hand in the process.
Here’s the video footage, courtesy of MLB.com.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 10
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 8
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 17
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 72
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 87
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)