Jul 2, 2011, 10:05 AM EDT
The headline pretty much says it all.
After blowing his second save in as many days last night against the Tigers, Brian Wilson took his frustrations to a water cooler in the dugout. The bearded closer was pulled with one out and the bases loaded in the bottom of the ninth. Jeremy Affeldt was able to get Brennan Boesch to line into a double play to end the game and give the Giants a wild 4-3 victory.
When asked if he would have a difficult time watching his blowup replayed on television, Wilson told the San Francisco Chronicle: “Why should it be difficult? I squared it up.”
While last night’s incident certainly jibes with Wilson’s quirky and intense persona, I wonder what we would be saying if he hurt his pitching hand in the process.
Here’s the video footage, courtesy of MLB.com.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 30
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 13
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 191
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 35
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (191)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)