Jul 2, 2011, 2:33 PM EDT
Byrd is batting sixth and playing center field this afternoon against the White Sox. He was cleared to return after going 4-for-15 (.267) with a home run and a double over four minor league rehab games with Triple-A Iowa.
As Aaron mentioned earlier this week, the 33-year-old is expected to wear a specially-designed helmet in order to protect his face.
Byrd was hitting .308/.346/.419 with three home runs and 11 RBI over 182 plate appearances prior to the injury.
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 11
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 16
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 51
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 73
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 42
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 217
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (217)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)