Jul 2, 2011, 2:33 PM EDT
Byrd is batting sixth and playing center field this afternoon against the White Sox. He was cleared to return after going 4-for-15 (.267) with a home run and a double over four minor league rehab games with Triple-A Iowa.
As Aaron mentioned earlier this week, the 33-year-old is expected to wear a specially-designed helmet in order to protect his face.
Byrd was hitting .308/.346/.419 with three home runs and 11 RBI over 182 plate appearances prior to the injury.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (109)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)