Jul 2, 2011, 2:33 PM EST
Byrd is batting sixth and playing center field this afternoon against the White Sox. He was cleared to return after going 4-for-15 (.267) with a home run and a double over four minor league rehab games with Triple-A Iowa.
As Aaron mentioned earlier this week, the 33-year-old is expected to wear a specially-designed helmet in order to protect his face.
Byrd was hitting .308/.346/.419 with three home runs and 11 RBI over 182 plate appearances prior to the injury.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)