Jul 2, 2011, 1:18 PM EST
Rafael Furcal wrapped up his minor league rehab assignment last night with High-A Rancho Cucamonga and is slated to rejoin the Dodgers as soon as tomorrow. There’s nothing official yet, but Matt Stevens of the Los Angeles Times writes that all signs point to rookie shortstop Dee Gordon being sent back to Triple-A Albuquerque.
“We’ll make that decision on Sunday,” Mattingly said about what Furcal’s return could mean for Gordon. “It is a decision we will make when we have to make it. [General Manager] Ned [Colletti] and I haven’t really even talked about it at this point.”
Furcal has been on the disabled list since the first week of June with an oblique injury. The Dodgers briefly discussed moving him to second base to keep Gordon on the major league roster, but Mattingly said last night that the idea has been shelved “for now.” Things could change if Furcal is eventually traded or more likely, if he suffers another injury. The 33-year-old shortstop has already been on the disabled list twice this season.
Gordon, 23, is batting .241/.259/.291 with a 16/2 K/BB ratio over his first 82 major league plate appearances. While he has struggled at the plate, he is 8-for-10 in stolen base attempts. He was credited with two stolen bases in the seventh inning last night against the Angels, including a theft of home plate.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 72
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 26
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 3
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 363
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (363)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (77)