Jul 2, 2011, 6:44 PM EDT
According to beat writer Jordan Bastian of MLB.com, Indians starter Fausto Carmona was pulled in the third inning of Saturday’s game against the cross-state Reds after suffering a right quadriceps strain while legging out a bunt single.
Carmona began stumbling as he neared the first base bag and eventually lost all control of his legs, flailing to the ground in an awkward extended tumble. The right-hander was noticeably grimacing as he made his way off the field and down into the visitor’s clubhouse at Great American Ballpark, but he walked the entire way under his own power.
Carmona had thrown two scoreless innings. He has an underwhelming 5.78 ERA and 1.41 WHIP through 18 outings this season, but the Indians don’t exactly have a quick fix if he’s forced to miss a few starts.
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game, as they’re announced… 0
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 101
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 19
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 9
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (102)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)