Jul 2, 2011, 8:39 PM EST
Angels setup man Fernando Rodney isn’t getting any closer to returning to the major leagues.
According to Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times, the rehabbing reliever has been shut down indefinitely due to ongoing discomfort in his back.
Rodney was placed on the 15-day disabled list in early June with an upper-back strain. He was cleared last week to begin a throwing program but had to skip his latest workout after feeling renewed pain and there’s no timetable for him to return to the mound.
Rodney had a 4.09 ERA, 18/15 K/BB ratio and 1.41 WHIP in 22 innings before landing on the disabled list. He’ll be sidelined now until at least late July.
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 11
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 62
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 74
- Curtis Granderson: “A lot of people have told me real New Yorkers are Mets fans” 60
- The Phillies have told teams they’d trade Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels 53
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi (110)