Jul 2, 2011, 9:08 AM EST
According to the Associated Press, MLB plans to look into allegations that Alex Rodriguez participated in an illegal, high-stakes poker game that included such celebrities as Leonardo DiCaprio and Tobey Maguire.
If you recall, Rodriguez was previously “warned” by the Yankees for playing in some underground poker games in Manhattan back in 2005, but these new revelations came to light from a report in Star Magazine yesterday.
Rodriguez refused to comment on the matter before last night’s game against the Mets while his spokesman Richard Rubenstein said A-Rod “has not participated in these poker games.” The 35-year-old third baseman is not mentioned in any court filings in relation to the games in question.
By the way, Rodriguez went 2-for-5 with an RBI double in last night’s win, pulling his batting average up to .301 for the season.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 43
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 84
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 36
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (85)