Jul 2, 2011, 1:49 PM EDT
Albert Pujols is not like you and me.
In a stunning development, Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that Albert Pujols’ fractured left wrist has shown “significant improvement,” which could enable him to return “immediately after the All-Star break, if not before.”
After receiving “aggressive treatment to promote healing of the bone,” Pujols underwent a follow-up CT scan Friday, which found a diminished fissure on the distal tip of his left radius. He’s scheduled to be reexamined Monday and barring something unforeseen, it is expected that he will be cleared to resume baseball activities immediately.
When Pujols fractured his wrist on June 19, he was originally expected to be sidelined for 4-6 weeks, but Strauss writes that the “best-case scenario” is that he could return during the Cardinals’ upcoming four-game series against the Diamondbacks, which begins next Thursday. It’s more likely, however, that they hold him out through the All-Star break. Still, I’m pretty sure the Cardinals won’t mind waiting a few extra days if it means they can have their first baseman (and occasional third baseman) back to make a second-half playoff push.
Pujols, who is set to become a free agent this winter, is hitting .279/.355/.500 with 17 homers and 45 RBI over 318 plate appearances this season. He was batting .317 with eight homers and a 1.197 OPS in June prior to the injury.
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 5
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 42
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (81)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)